Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,637   Posts: 1,623,160   Online: 892

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

body for an FD Canon 50mm f1.2

I ran across a Canon breech lock FD mount 50mm f1.2 SSC. It isn't the fancy L lens, but it seems to be equally well appreciated. Since the FD lenses don't seem to mount to anything I have (OM-1, Leica M2), could someone recommend a body for this beast. My criteria is a modern battery, highly sensitive meter and an easy to focus screen. I'm leaning toward an A1 or one of the newer F1s, but that is based on all of one hour of research. Recommendations?

Thanks -- Mark
    Your first 10,000 pictures are the worst - HCB

www.markjamesfisher.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't know that the A1 can meter below 1.4. I remember reading that or something like that when researching my FL 1.2
    "If its not broken, I can't afford it."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That lens would work well with the A1 in stopped down mode. I use my FL 55/1.2 without problems. Not certain about the FD lens on a FD camera. Metering might not be necessary.
    Last edited by dances_w_clouds; 02-03-2015 at 11:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just checked the manual for Canon A1. In aperture priority mode it goes to f1.2 on the dial. The only lenses that Canon state as incompatible are a few older FL and R lenses. Thus your FD 50mm f1.2 will work file.

Canon claims metering down to EV -2, or 8 seconds at f1.4 with 100 ISO film so you have fairly sensitive metering. There are Olympus and Pentax models that can meter far lower light levels but that is OT for this discussion.

I don't use my A1 much these days as I also have an F1-N, T90 and a gorgeous EF from 1975. All have silicon cell metering which is both sensitive and quick responding compared to CDS metering. The viewfinders are bright and easy to use on all of these models. Canon were up there with the best of them in nearly all regards.

The F1-N may be a bit of a stretch financially just to try out one FD lens. Then again you may like it and grab more FD lenses. As an orphaned mount, (compared to Nikon and Pentax K), FD lenses still go for low prices.

Shooter
    35mm
    I just got a FTb w/new seala, CLA'd for $31. Nice!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I have and use (just this morning while walking to work!) my Canon T90 -- built-in drive, interchangeable screens, spot meter or center weighted or full averaging at the push of a button, great red LED (not LCD) readout. Runs on four AA batteries. It's a real workhorse.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I suggest the original canon F1.
    Ben

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dances_w_clouds View Post
    That lens would work well with the A1 in stopped down mode.
    With all their A-type cameras except for the A-1 Canon warns against using a coupled FD-lens in stopped-down metering mode.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Images
    I liked my A1 but I (still) have too many 35mm bodies and mostly use M42 lenses, so I got rid of it. Should have kept it as the viewfinder is better and I like the Aperture Priority mode. No problem getting batteries.

The F1 is a lead brick. The T90 may be better in that regard, no experience there.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive hour."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    F1
    5x7 Eastman-Kodak kit, under the knife for a bit
    4x5 Graphic View / Schneider 180 / Ektar 127
    RB67 Pro S / 50 4.5 / 90 3.8 / 180 4.5 / WLF / prism finder / polaback
    Random 35mm stuff

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin