Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,545   Posts: 1,646,217   Online: 1039

Shooter
    Multi Format

180/2,8AIS+TC201 sharper than 300/4,5 AIS?

I tried some bird photography some days ago and wasn't quite satisfied but hey low light levels, big apperture and long shutterspeeds etc.
    So yesterday I did an informal nonscientific comparison between my 180mm F2,8 ais on TC 201 and 300mm f/4,5 trying to keep effective aperture and shutterspeed the same and using a sb 26 to light the subject (some logs used as feeding place for the birds)
    I found that the 180 on 2X converter made way sharper images with a lot more details than the 300mm @5,6 to 11, both handheld but rested on soft but firm support (the 300 lacks its tripod collar)
    Can anybody confirm this or should I retry and standardize setup even more?
    I know my 180 performs really good alone and I would expect the TC201 should degrade its performance but not that the 300mm f/4,5 did that bad.
    Best regards
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You could attach 300mm f4,5 on TC 201 and see how much degradation you get. 180mm is a superb lens, and that teleconverter is great also, I would not expect big visible degradation from 180mm + TC201. 300mm f4,5 is good, but not legendary, plus maybe you have bad condition sample.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So my findings are not unlikely? Ok.
    Which great teles in the 300-400mm range (Nikon, Canon FD, Minolta Olympus...........) would you recommend?
    E.g. the 400mm f/4,5 FD is not that expensive.

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    35mm RF
    If you want IQ in a 300mm you need the tripod collar, cable release and a tripod that is a solid concrete mass.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    If you want IQ in a 300mm you need the tripod collar, cable release and a tripod that is a solid concrete mass.
    Yeah I know and Id like a tripod collar option for the 180 as well. I just found it odd that it (the 180) do better with the TC201 (360mm effective) than the 300 alone under the same conditions. Seems Ill go with the 180/TC201 combo for the time being.

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Btw some years ago I tried my tripods and tripod heads out using my P6X7 and a laser pointer and found out the head is more important than tripod weight in reducing the effect from mirror slap. I used a Novo classic ball (a big one borrowed), a Mannfrotto 3 way head (RC 441?) the 055CLB and the 058. It didn't matter which tripod I used but there was a huge difference between the heads. The ballhead was the better of the two.

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin