Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,880   Posts: 1,520,490   Online: 820

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

My Lomo LCA doesn't vignette!

It's an old-ish model--it says MADE IN USSR on it and when I got it it smelled like it had been in storage a long time--but it takes perfect pictures!

I don't want to start flinging it against the wall or anything but does anyone have any suggestions on how I could make it vignette or distort a bit.

Thanks.

Andrew

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Try bashing it on your head or chewing on the lens.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You'd better try and get a refund!
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    How dare these russians, building a functional camera?!

Put it in a flower pot, water it and wait for some fungus to grow. It will lower the contrast and if you´re lucky some earth crumbs will stick onto the front lens, obstructing the image quality.
    Tschüss,
    Roman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Heck, my Diana doesn't vignette either! It takes perfect pictures too! In fact I made superslides from the pictures and they really have to be projected really big to make the soft-focus quality evident.

I think the distinctive qualities of these cult cameras are over-hyped. All the buzz about them leads you expect things that may or may not happen. The point to remember is that they're unpredictable and part of the fun IS the surprise you get when you look at the results. Trying to force the camera to do something somebody told you it's supposed to do is kind of missing the point.

Take the perfect pictures with the Lomo, then experiment with other cameras. Maybe you can find some old plastic TLR somewhere?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewmoodie
    It's an old-ish model--it says MADE IN USSR on it and when I got it it smelled like it had been in storage a long time--but it takes perfect pictures!

I don't want to start flinging it against the wall or anything but does anyone have any suggestions on how I could make it vignette or distort a bit.

Thanks.

Andrew
    Download GIMP <http://www.gimp.org>
    Downlaod the LOMO script.
    Open up image, run the LOMO script, and... voila! Your images look like it was done with a Lomo. I use this when I shoot with my P&S digital and I want the image to look "bad".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you want soft, vignetted pictures, go for the Holga with a 6x6 mask. I've yet to see one where the lens could cover the film evenly. (Maybe the factory has mistakenly sent out an example that covers the film, but somehow I doubt it.)

Every other camera I've used to get "that look" has been hit-or-miss. Some are soft, some are not. Some vignette, some do not. I think of this as part of the fun.
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Images
    I don't know. I've heard this mentioned once or twice before and it always sounds sort of comical to non-lomographers to hear someone complaining about a lack of aberations. If your lab isn't cropping the prints, then maybe you just a bad... um good one. It will still have the distinctive exposure characteristics that make it a Lomo. At least you didn't miss out on that funky, funky Lomo smell
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Shoot in bright conditions, preferably towards the sun.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format

The Russian Smell

Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam
    I don't know. I've heard this mentioned once or twice before and it always sounds sort of comical to non-lomographers to hear someone complaining about a lack of aberations. If your lab isn't cropping the prints, then maybe you just a bad... um good one. It will still have the distinctive exposure characteristics that make it a Lomo. At least you didn't miss out on that funky, funky Lomo smell
    I know well the smell of Russian equipment its unforgettable A guy I know, who has a degree in leather technology,and has a Zenit E, talked about this once, he told me the smell is caused by the way the Russians tan leather, they use urinic acid, derived from pig urine, apparently the process goes back to the middle ages and hasn't been used in the west for hundreds of years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin