Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,328   Posts: 1,681,981   Online: 769

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

My full manual camera w/o a meter just cost me a great shot.

I was on my bike today w/ theNikkormat when I saw this large white heron out the corner of my eye. He was making this unusual evasive maneuver in mid flight about 15' from the ground. I stopped, and saw to the heron's left a huge, darker bird that had splayed his wings and tail out while heading to a low lying tree limb. At first I thought it was an osprey, but the markings under the tail and wings looked more like a hawk. An osprey won't go after a big heron anyway, or at least I've never seen one do that. Once he got up on his limb I saw that it was possibly an eagle. No hawk could have been that big. He also had a much bigger beak, and what looked like lighter colored feathers on his legs all the way up to his body. The legs were very large, and much bigger in diameter than an ospreys.

I had recently fixed the meter on the 'mat, but in the rush of the moment had forgotten that. Meanwhile, he was still sitting on that limb, but now he was eying me. I took my eyes off him JUST long enough to set the aperture, which took about 2 or 3 seconds at most, and when I looked back up all I saw was the tree limb. No bird.

From now on I'm putting that H 50 2 lens on my N8008s (once I hack it to shoot the non AI lens).That camera will automatically set the shutter speed w/ its AE, even in stop down metering mode. As much as I love the 'mat, when I'm out and about I'd better take the AE camera. Of course I could still take the 'mat, and hopefully remember that the meter works, but it still won't be nearly as fast to shoot w/ match needle metering vs a camera w/ AE.
    Last edited by momus; 02-08-2015 at 06:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Insert pithy philosophic statement of your choice here".

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Or, you can adjust the camera ahead of time anticipating the light you are in so that you're ready to shoot at the drop of a hat. You can also set the lens to the hyperfocal distance so you can point and shoot without re focusing if you don't have time to focus. May not be perfect, but beats no shot at all. It's the way it was done "back in the day".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't worry momus. Because it was such a great shot you likely would have put the fixer in before the developer for this roll. At least that's what I would have done.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Before auto exposure, photogs would keep their camera at a preset for the lighting conditions available. Of course, as lighting would change, for example, a large dark cloud that reduced light, the photog would change setting to match. It takes discipline to continually make changes to settings to be ready, and its why auto everything is popular.

Our brains can handle this, if you want to, then again, technology makes life easier sometimes.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    One of the reasons I love the F5 on program. But I've missed shots with a full auto camera as well. Sometimes it's just palin dumb luck.
    ".............you don't see no hearses with luggage racks................"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What a shame, but I'm sure that we've all shared your disappointment... At least I know I have; more than once. But don't osprey eat fish rather than birds?

Shooter
    35mm
    What's the saying? f/8 and be there?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by binglebugbob View Post
    Or, you can adjust the camera ahead of time anticipating the light you are in so that you're ready to shoot at the drop of a hat. You can also set the lens to the hyperfocal distance so you can point and shoot without re focusing if you don't have time to focus. May not be perfect, but beats no shot at all. It's the way it was done "back in the day".
    this......do it all the time with my Soviet FED-2 and my Nikkormat.

Dont fret that Nikkormat will still be working long after Im gone......I got 2 of them. It's all the heavy-metal "kerchung" of the Nikon F without the hipster tax.
    5x7 Eastman-Kodak kit, under the knife for a bit
    4x5 Graphic View / Schneider 180 / Ektar 127
    RB67 Pro S / 50 4.5 / 90 3.8 / 180 4.5 / WLF / prism finder / polaback
    Random 35mm stuff

Shooter
    35mm
    And you don't need to "hack" a perfectly good camera to make it work with your Non-AI lens. Just buy a Series E 50mm or something like that. They ought to be cheap enough.
    Fed 2, 5
    Zenit 11
    Olympus OM-1N, OM-2N, OM-4, OM10
    A bunch of Nikons
    Ferrania backer

Shooter
    35mm
    It's a bummer when you miss'em, but it feels extra good when you do nail those shots with a manual body.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin