Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,192   Posts: 1,659,047   Online: 986

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Best point and shoot compact?

I'm interested in peoples' experience of P&S cameras, in particular which you feel has the best lens. Let me be clear, I'm not concerned with upmarket compacts like Contax TVS, Fuji Natura, Konica Hexar, etc, just run of the mill pocket AF or zone focus cameras of a semi-disposable nature. Are there any sleepers in the sub £/$100 market? I have a number of these P&S cameras with my own favourites, but it would be interesting to hear of any cheap compacts that exceed their optical pretensions. Let's say the kind of thing you'd be confident printing tack sharp at 10 x 8".

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    For point and shoot.....for street...I really like my Olympus XA2
    Very quick and easy and small with a great removable flash

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    www.vinnywalsh.com

Check out my low volume sheet film tanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Olympus and Pentax units I buy for a dollar each at thrift shops. Haven't found any Nikons yet, but I'm looking.
    Rick Allen
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You may want to consider this overview of 1970's rangefinders on Stephen Gandy's Cameraquest website:

https://www.cameraquest.com/com35s.htm

My XA2 isn't good enough for "tack sharp" 8x10's; maybe 5x7 at best. The XA1 I think is better, but can you get it under $100?

I would recommend a Canonet 28. The Canon QL17 GIII is better, but probably over $100.

None of these are disposable, of course. The cheap plastic cameras you find for a few dollars at places like Goodwill are fun, but I wouldn't use them if I wanted very sharp 8x10's.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Nikon L35AF, I got mine for free, I bet they're no more then $40 on eBay.

Fully automatic, fast accurate autofocus, unassuming looks, and a great 35mm 2.8 sonnar type lens.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The Olympus Stylus had a tiny little clamshell case and a nice, fast glass lens. (Olympus always had great glass).

Many photojournalists used to carry these in their bags, as backups or even loaded with TMAX 3200. Terrific little film camera.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have a 16 X 20 hanging on my wall made with a hand held Olympus XA ( Which I think is the best of the XA series.)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    You are really limiting yourself with the $100 and the tack sharp stipulations. I have never seen a cheap camera that was tack sharp. The Olympus Stylus Epic has incredibly fast autofocus, but I wouldn't call it tack sharp. Still a great option though. Fuji made a couple with really good lenses, one a zoom, called the DL Super Mini. I used a zoom one for years for color film and pictures of family. Was fantastic with color, but a little flat with b&w. If you find one, snatch it up. If you want something wider, the Nikon AF Lite Touch is pretty decent. There was a Pentax Espio that was pretty good. A lot of cameras had those 4 element Tessar type lenses.

None of the above though would I classify as tack sharp. There is a reason why the better cameras cost more. The only pocketable camera that I am aware of that can be had for cheap and can hold a candle to the GR1's and Contax T3s of the world is the Minox 35. Damn fine lens, but somewhat clunky camera and it doesn't really work in low light nor does it have autofocus. The hot shoe is a nice touch though. And it is smaaaaalllll.

Shooter
    35mm
    My XA2 isn't good enough for "tack sharp" 8x10's; maybe 5x7 at best. The XA1 I think is better, but can you get it under $100?
    You are confusing the original XA with the simpler XA1.
    The XA1 was a cheap camera with a selenium meter and a 35mm f/4 lens: http://www.diaxa.com/xa1.htm
    Fed 2, 5
    Zenit 11
    Olympus OM-1N, OM-2N, OM-4, OM10
    A bunch of Nikons
    Ferrania backer

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin