Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,888   Posts: 1,629,786   Online: 847

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Does the Nikon F3 meter work without a lens?

Just got a nice F3, and shutter seems to fire at all speeds. I don't have a lens but I was playing around with it. It shoots at 1/80th until frame 1 then it will shoot at all speeds. But when it's set to A, it shoots at -8. I've read that some people have issues with it shooting at -8 in A with lenses, but without one is this normal? The lens won't get here for awhile so I'm kind of skeptical and if this is the case I might as well return it ASAP.

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Without a lens attached, the camera has no way of knowing what the maximum aperture is - the camera relies on the AI indexing ridge at the rear of the lens to slide the tab on the mount, based on the maximum aperture. With no lens, the tab is in its default position and the camera probably knows there's no lens attached and is giving you a bogus reading. You might try sliding the AI tab on the mount to see if your reading changes, but you really should test it with an AI or newer lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG. I will check this later when I get home (if somebody else will not be quicker).

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The F3 has the flip up AI tab so with an AIed lens has no way of detecting a lens mounted, but may need the stop down button pushed but I'd doubt that.

The meter needs a battery and the contacts wiped and the first pressure on the shutter and you need to select the mode forgotten how, try down loading the manual.

http://www.cameramanuals.org/nikon_pdf/nikon_f3.pdf

edit - it needs the stop down button depressed see manual!
    Been 30 years since I sold mine...
    Last edited by Xmas; 02-18-2015 at 04:36 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    The meter works with or without a lens. On "A", it will vary according to the light source it is pointed to. Only on "X" and "B" will there be no metering.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    Been 30 years since I sold mine...
    It is time to buy it again .

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Sarile View Post
    The meter works with or without a lens. On "A", it will vary according to the light source it is pointed to. Only on "X" and "B" will there be no metering.
    I agree ; mine works like that.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Sarile View Post
    I've just tried mine without a lens on "A" and the shutter speeds varied just as I'd expect.

Ronnie

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by darkosaric View Post
    It is time to buy it again .
    I still use a F2 alas a F3 was a step too far sold it when the F2 escaped from repair shop I was distracted by meter LCD.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you have a body cap on it?
    If so, what you describe would be the expected behavior for the A setting after you're at frame 1 or beyond.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin