Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,581   Posts: 1,622,106   Online: 885

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Is it me, or are the mid-80s Ricoh AF series point-and-shoots notably unreliable?

Since I started experimenting with film in 2011, I've used two Ricoh AF-5s, an AF-7 and an AF-303. I bought them from different people, but none of them could be relied on for more than a roll or two before dying. Each succumbed to the same problem: partway through a roll, they'd jam, and then each time I pressed the shutter the camera would emit a shrill, constant beep. I also have used a couple different variants of the FF-3 AF, which is significantly more reliable than any of the cameras I've tried in the AF series - did the same beeping thing once but has never jammed.

I don't know, maybe I've just had bad luck with these cameras. Curious if I'm the only one, though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My Ricoh GR-1 (a late 1990's camera) developed autofocus problems. I don't know if that was a common problem with that camera.

Shooter
    35mm
    I remember the 80's well. But it was not an era that manufactured anything I was interested in then, and certainly not now. May I cast one vote for the dumpster on that Ricoh? And it would certainly put your concerns where they belong. I assure you, it will never be a keepsake. Rest easy.
    Last edited by APUGuser19; 02-22-2015 at 12:35 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'm 53 years old and started shooting 35mm at the age of 20. I have never personally known anyone who shot a Ricoh 35mm camera.

I wonder why?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Get yourself one of those Olympus Xa cameras if you like point and shoot. They are great little cameras. I sold quite a few of them back in the day.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    I'm 53 years old and started shooting 35mm at the age of 20. I have never personally known anyone who shot a Ricoh 35mm camera.

I wonder why?
    I'd shoot one, if I had any interest in guns and target/tin-can shooting.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by APUGuser19 View Post
    I'd shoot one, if I had any interest in guns and target/tin-can shooting.
    You know I have shot a lot of cameras and handled even more but I have never had the opportunity to touch a Ricoh. I don't even remember seeing them in any camera store in St. Louis. I do remember seeing photos of them in Modern Photography magazine. That's it.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Daido Moriyama seems to have liked them just fine. The problems with many older compact AF cameras is that their owner haven't touched them since the beginning of the digital revolution and electronic cameras want to be used. Ricoh was a mid tier mfg. so don't expect the best but neither are they the worst.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    You know I have shot a lot of cameras and handled even more but I have never had the opportunity to touch a Ricoh. I don't even remember seeing them in any camera store in St. Louis. I do remember seeing photos of them in Modern Photography magazine. That's it.
    Certainly you remember the Ricoh Singlex TLS, K-Mart Focal TLS, and Sears TLS.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My Ricoh SLR has been fine since my grandfather bought it in the 80s, but I've never used a Ricoh point & shoot. I am quite happy with the SLR, it's a decent camera, but if I were looking for a P&S I'd not look at Ricohs.
    Truzi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin