Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,190   Posts: 1,658,982   Online: 865

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Is it worth it? FM3x

My two favourite Nikons I have are the FM2n and the F6. On the FM side of the world, are there any great leaps in the FM3x series that I am missing out on?
    Get it right in the camera, the first time... My flickr
    Peter Carter

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    aperture priority?
    "If its not broken, I can't afford it."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If your FM2n is one of your favourite cameras then the FM3A would be right up your street. The only real problem might be finding one for sane money, although prices seem to have become more reasonable over the last few years.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I imagine that you have already checked out the F3, it is only slightly larger and heavier than the FM2 but adds aperture priority and to my eyes a superior viewfinder display, as well as 100% coverage at least in the HP model (most common), a multitude of focusing screen and interchangeable prisms, motor drive if you wish, and the capability of use as a hammer in a pinch. And the prices are much more reasonable than the FM3a for a more capable camera that isn't that much heftier, and can still shoot without batteries if you can adjust your aperture appropriately for a fixed shutter speed of 1/80 (why 1/80? No idea). No meter without battery of course. Personally, this is just me, I prefer to operate with batteries and have not found carrying a spare pair to be overly burdensome, particularly considering that one must also truck a supply of that silvery light sensitive artifact in a can if one wants to have images to remember the day (just goofing, no offense intended to the OP or any readers of this missive that should have ended after the first sentence. So it will now).
    Larry
    LJ Segil
    Highland Park, IL

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Mamiya C330f, Nikon S2, Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T, Nikon F4s, Olympus Pen FT, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Just a bit of perspective, I too have a FM2, but do prefer shooting the F3, mostly because of the aperture priority which I use a good part of the time, the viewfinder, having been able to pick my favorite focusing screen, and I am better able to shoot while wearing glasses (I have the HP). But I do enjoy the FM2, and it recently spent some exclusive time out of storage for some landscape and baby photography, in this case the smaller size and weight was a factor as I was trying to economize as much as possible on those two factors. It was, of course, a pleasure to use. Awaiting return of the used artifacts, so cannot comment on my results, but do accept blame should they be less than the excellence that I know that camera can produce.
    To say nothing of what can come out of the F6!
    And I do have a spare F3HP body should you have any interest.
    Larry
    LJ Segil
    Highland Park, IL

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Unless you need ttl flash or more than 1000th shutter speed, just get an FE. They are cheaper and can use non ai lenses.

Typos made on a tiny phone...
    "If its not broken, I can't afford it."

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin