Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,307   Posts: 1,681,693   Online: 1027

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

How many cameras do you need? (and why?)

OK, so we've seen the 'how many cameras do you have' threads, where APUGers tell-all and hope their wives dont read the thread.

But how many cameras do you really need?
    Well different situations call for different equipment, so here's you chance to explain it all.

Some of you may need to get a little creative to justify those high numbers =]

Here is what I have come up with so far:

1. The 'System'
    You need a versitile system that will cover many different uses. This is your main camera that you bring for all your serious shots. be it SLR or rangefinder, small medium or large, there are lots of options here. This is also your main justification for having lots of lenses =]

2. The 'Go Everywhere'
    This is the camera that you must take anywhere and everywhere you go. Small and reliable, this camera fits in your pocket and is always loaded with Tri-X. Stylus Epic, XA, Rollei 35 come to mind.

3. The 'Big Gun'
    Whatever you normally shoot, this camera is bigger. Maybe its a 'blad, or a speed graphic, or even a Korona 11x14. Either way, you only cart it out once a year to prove you are a manly photographer.

4. The 'Classic'
    Made with a solid brick of chromed brass, this baby comes from the era of big hair and big cars. Is there any question why you need it? It was good enough for Elvis. Think Nikon F, Ricoh TLS, Topcon Super D

...Feel free to add your own!
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The 'Light N Easy'
    One body, one lens, loaded with medium speed film.

The 'Crowd Pleaser'
    The one camera you use in a crowd to attract attention and engage with total strangers and get others interested in photography.

The 'Old Geezer'
    Such an old camera it should be relegated to the shelf as a dust-catcher, but you just can't put her out to pasture.

The 'Compensator'
    Any camera with a lens half as big as you are. And you KNOW why!
    I hate when people ask me what I see myself doing in 5 years...... I don't have 2020 vision!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    "The easy way out"
    Usually a camera with a digital sensor that lacks in art and excels in making 100 shots per second... So you can pick that 1 shot in a thousand that "works"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife gives me hell when you leave the toilet seat up... so STOP leaving the toilet seat up!!
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    1... cuz that's all I need.

I'm not interested in shooting smaller than 4x5 and I can't carry and handle anything bigger.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by heespharm View Post
    "The easy way out"
    Usually a camera with a digital sensor that lacks in art and excels in making 100 shots per second... So you can pick that 1 shot in a thousand that "works"

All cameras lack in art. If the photo is worthless, it's not the fault of the camera.

On topic - I *need* one camera with one lens. Luckily I'm not bound by that limit.

Shooter
    Medium Format

How many cameras do you need? (and why?)

Quote Originally Posted by ruby.monkey View Post
    All cameras lack in art. If the photo is worthless, it's not the fault of the camera.

On topic - I *need* one camera with one lens. Luckily I'm not bound by that limit.
    My comment was facetious

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Need? I don't need no stinkin' camera. Photography is a hobby for me; if I could never take another photograph I wouldn't be happy about it, but I'd get on with my life.

"Want," "own," and "use" are each different numbers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "Need" is such a subjective term. I enjoy the mechanics, I enjoy the novelty, I enjoy playing with a new toy every coupla weeks.

So I need them all, I guess. How many is that? There are a coupla dozen in the regular rotation, and others that come out a couple of times a year. And some that are just "Wow, that will be fun."

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Lots
    All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How many cameras do you need? Why as many as are sufficient for your needs.......Regards!

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin