Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,357   Posts: 1,682,668   Online: 1059

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Nikon F3 shutter curtain scratch and depression, is it OK?

Hi, just bought a Nikon F3 over ebay, really love it, but over carefully inspection found out the shutter curtain has 2 major depression and one scratch, will the camera be regarded damaged? should I keep the camera or should I return it to the seller? thanks in advance.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_6809.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello,
    the curtains are made from a very thin titanium foil with a special surface structure. They are very sensitive against damage. Repairing this camera would not be economical. I would return the camera, there are plenty good F 3's on the market for low money.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    at some point in time shutter will fail but i cannot predict the moment, maybe after enough shots to enjoy your camera.
    if the shutter foil touch the case it will wear. anyway the bend, edge, will crack from metal fatigue.
    if own that camera i try to straighten the bend.
    if you are not confident with that return to seller.
    Nikon FA, F4, F100; Zenit TTL.

Shooter
    35mm
    If they didn't mention the curtain wrinkle, send it back.
    APUG: F, F/FTN,F2,F2A,F2AS,F3,F3HP,FA,FE,FM,FM2,FE2,XK,XM,XD, XD-5,XD-7,XD-11,XE,XE-5,XE-7,SRT101,SRT102,XG9,XG7,XG1,XG-SE,XG-M,X700,OM-1,OM-1n,OM-2,OM-2n,OM-4,F-1,F-1N,AE-1P,R5,500C/M,SCII
    DPUG:D100,D200,D300

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you all for the input, I am new to film cameras and really have on confident to keep this one (I really love it anyway)

The damage was not advertised, actually it was described as in Excellent++ condition, and indeed, apart from the shutter damage, the camera is in excellent cosmetic condition, but the seller did not put an image of the damaged part of the shutter on ebay.

[FONT=georgia, arial, sans-serif][COLOR=#333333]I think I will contact the seller and return it.

[/COLOR][/FONT]

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The metal horizontal run shutters of Nikon and Canon cameras are easily crinkled.

But you should not touch. If a ribbon snaps the ribbon can be replaced but you normally get a crinkle.

If it was not sold with crincked as is normal you can ask for money back or return.

If the shutter blinds fail replacement is normally not economic.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks, Xmas. I've asked for return and refund, and will send it back to the seller. It is really a shame, I do love the camera, looking for another one now.

Shooter
    35mm
    I also bought one recently which has minor shutter damage (also not mentioned in advert). I tested it and decided to keep it. It was not expensive. I would, however, be very careful to check this if buying another. It is a great camera to use, and is my current favourite. I hope you find a good one.
    Alex.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The scratch is no real consequence, it's probably from film leader crossing over it during rewind. The crease may not be either, but it's undesirable, and not something that would be acceptable on a camera presented as "Excellent++".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If it works I'd take a chance on it. They are very rugged cameras in all ways, and that one looks like it really hasn't seen much service. Even what we can see of the inspection sticker is in good shape.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin