Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,387   Posts: 1,683,217   Online: 859

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mirror lenses

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Mirror lenses

I got interested in mirror lensesas in a 500mm f/8 for my Nikons.Any experience in image quality and overall value for money
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Do you like doughnuts.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Do you like doughnuts.
    only jam filled.
    An old dog learning new tricks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I Austria I had a doughnut with apricot jam. OMG. Heaven in a doughnut!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a 500mm f8 mirror lens. I don't know who made it, as it's branded "Porters" (the drug store/camera shop). It's every bit as good as my Soligar 450mm f8 regular lens. Both have been great for birds, racing cars, etc. As cliveh said, you have to like doughnuts, and not the jelly filled ones. (jjphoto, a doughnut with apricot jam would be heaven in a doughnut). The boka is circles - actually kind of neat if you don't overdo it. The other drawback is there is no aperture control - always wide open. For action shots, like race cars, etc., that's fine. Otherwise, there is no control of depth of field. Oh, and mine focusses very close - about 3 ft. I've used that advantage some tool. I like mine, and the price was right off eBay.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak, of all people, did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    35mm
    It's all about the bokeh and fixed aperture. F8 and be there. And then there's the doghnuts which can look great or can look cliched. Its your choice.
    An old dog learning new tricks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, if you use a mirror lens, you can't mind the OOF donuts. Often, however, if the background is far enough away, the donuts can be quite small -- insignificantly small, in fact. Here's an example:

Image taken at Willow Springs International Raceway, circa 1986, with a Canon F-1 and a Sigma 600mm f/8, Fujichrome 100. Note the very small donuts in the background of the image.

As for a good 500mm lens for the money, I recommend the Tamron 55BB. That is the second version that Tamron made, which is allegedly better than the first version. But I've seen lots of pics from the first version and I have to say that they were very good. I own the 55BB and my experience with it is it rivals a very sharp refractor lens. It is an impressive optic.

The Sigma I used to own which took the above shot was an excellent lens, but I have learned since that these big Sigma mirrors can be of varying quality. I currently own a later model one than the one I used for that photo, and it isn't nearly as sharp of an optic. So, although Sigma did make some impressively sharp 600 mirrors, there is some inconsistency, whereas I haven't found this to be the case so far with the Tamron 500mm mirrors.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just get a Questar 700/8. But be aware that a lens that long -- 500s too, for that matter -- punishes the least unsteadiness severely.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'd put up with those doughnuts, cooltouch. Great pic

pentaxuser
    Last edited by pentaxuser; 06-17-2015 at 03:22 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Mamiya 500mm Reflex for my M645, (as well as an adapter for my Canon system), and I like mirrors. I don't mind the doughnuts, as they can be controlled somewhat by your position, and can be used artistically. The quality of even the cheap mirror lenses seems to be acceptable (much better then an equivalent refractor type).

I would imagine the Nikon would be on par with the Canon/Mamiya/Minolta/Sigma/Tamrons/etc., if not better.

Value for the dollar, I don't think you can go wrong with a mirror if you want/need the reach.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin