Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,266   Posts: 1,680,844   Online: 788

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Why can't i use a 58mm f1.2 on a Canon f-1N

Hello,

I've searched high and low on google, and have not found an answer of why, just quotes referring me to the manual, stating which lenses i cannot use on the canon f-1N.

Can someone be so kind as to enlighten me why i can't.

The only reason i have found is loss of metering, which i don't find to be a big deal.
    others have stated than on some previous cameras you needed mirror lock-up, this one is a deal breaker.

Thank you ahead of time, i'm heading to work, but will come back for an answer.

Edit**

This is an FL lens
    Last edited by mesantacruz; 07-21-2015 at 02:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Which 58 mm f1.2 are you talking about? a FL lens?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Canon F1(n) should take all Canon FD lenses.
    “We are buried beneath the weight of information, which is being confused with knowledge; quantity is being confused with abundance and wealth with happiness.
    We are monkeys with money and guns.”

― Tom Waits

Shooter
    Medium Format
    yes to FL lens
    ooops, yes, I just spoke with mr ken oikawa, and he said i should be able too

i also found a quote online with someone with the same question
    and actually contacted canon this is part of the response, he had previously had a viewfinder problem question.

"I asked the desk personelle at Canon and emailed Canon HQ about the 58mm, and neither could give me a definitive answer as to why I'm not supposed to be able to use that lens. (I'm doubting that it was the cause for the viewfinder problem.)"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Does it interfere with the mirror in a FD mount camera?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mesantacruz View Post
    Hello,

I've searched high and low on google, and have not found an answer of why, just quotes referring me to the manual, stating which lenses i cannot use on the canon f-1N.

Can someone be so kind as to enlighten me why i can't.

The only reason i have found is loss of metering, which i don't find to be a big deal.
    others have stated than on some previous cameras you needed mirror lock-up, this one is a deal breaker.

Thank you ahead of time, i'm heading to work, but will come back for an answer.

Edit**

This is an FL lens
    I have a canon F1n and an FL 1.2 lens and they work fine together. You have to use stop-down metering with it, but since I don't use the meter in the camera anyway, who cares?

A lot of sites will tell you that "that lens won't work on that camera" because it doesn't FULLY work, ie-the metering thing. But as long as the mount fits and the lens stops down when you fire the shutter, you're good to go.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I suspect that is an expensive lens. 35mm camera bodies are inexpensive. Can't you trust the manual and just buy the body that fits the lens?

Shooter
    35mm
    The FL 58 mm f1.2 should fit the NEW F-1 without problems...the rear element doesn't protrude much like certain wide lenses, if you have read it doesn't fit on the manual I assume it's a typo.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Mesantacruz,

Good question, good for nerds like me. I've reviewed the F-1N manual and indeed it advises against mounting, among others:

R 58/1.2
    and
    FL 58/1.2

Any reason for advising against the lens would be based on the assumption that some rear protrusion will interfere with the body. You can do a simple test and check that this is not the case.

Another reason would be that the metering system would't be accurate with it. This might be a reason as well with the strange 58/1.4 design.
    This Nikkor lens is so good... that it should be labeled as a Canon lens!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Why can't i use a 58mm f1.2 on a Canon f-1N

The FD cameras I have owned had the same restriction. They could not meter with 1.2 apertures accurately. The EF body (nothing to do with EOS cameras) and the A1 share the restriction. The FL lenses lack the nub that tells the body which max aperture the lens has.
    I made a stick on nubs for testing and had no problems but it may be that the aperture actuating lever on the camera is not designed for these 1.2 FL
    lenses and could damage the FD camera body mechanisms. Just speculation there.

Typos made on a tiny phone...
    "If its not broken, I can't afford it."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin