Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,767   Posts: 1,484,166   Online: 825

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I highly recommend KEH, too. I have bought numerous OM lenses and bodies through them and have never had a disapointment.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Zhenya,
    Well, we discovered a few other problems before the repair shop. I put new batteries in, and the newly discovered action was that the camera would lockup all over the place. The shutter, would on auto, would randomnly chose a shutter speed from 30 seconds on up! On manual, it would lock up randonly also. After this incident and much consultation, it was decided it was not economical to repair. So now I am to look into another OM4 or OM4T so I can get my OM1 back from the missus

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuck
    Hi Zhenya,
    After this incident and much consultation, it was decided it was not economical to repair. So now I am to look into another OM4 or OM4T so I can get my OM1 back from the missus
    Hi Canuck,

the story you tell about your OM is one from the blood-chilling ones - I think I know what can be wrong with it... the contacts and brushes, that's for sure. A good cleaning and checkout would heal your camera. Well, if you can find another one, put the broken one on a shelf. From my own experience I can say that you'll find soon some reason to get it repaired, just to have two camera bodies - isn't it practical? )

Cheers,
    Zhenya

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Zhenya,
    Well, we discovered a few other problems before the repair shop. I put new batteries in, and the newly discovered action was that the camera would lockup all over the place. The shutter, would on auto, would randomnly chose a shutter speed from 30 seconds on up! On manual, it would lock up randonly also. After this incident and much consultation, it was decided it was not economical to repair. So now I am to look into another OM4 or OM4T so I can get my OM1 back from the missus
    Are you sure the correct batteries were installed, and that they were fresh, i.e., not subject to long shelf storage? The correct batteries for the OM4-T are SR44W and equivalent, including the now-discontinued Energizer 357. Alkaline or other types of "compatible" batteries can cause the type of behaviour you mention.

FWIW, I would send the the camera to John at Camtech and get an estimate as well as a price for selling the body to John as a parts camera. John buys OM bodies for spares/parts, and he is a fair person, in my experience.

Cheers,

Earl
    Honey, I promise no more searching eBay for cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OM4's are famous for being battery hungry. The Ti version is way better (I have one of each). Otherwise, I can't help much, being the wrong side of the Pond.

David.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl Dunbar
    Are you sure the correct batteries were installed, and that they were fresh, i.e., not subject to long shelf storage? The correct batteries for the OM4-T are SR44W and equivalent, including the now-discontinued Energizer 357. Alkaline or other types of "compatible" batteries can cause the type of behaviour you mention.

FWIW, I would send the the camera to John at Camtech and get an estimate as well as a price for selling the body to John as a parts camera. John buys OM bodies for spares/parts, and he is a fair person, in my experience.

Cheers,

Earl
    Well, I bought the same original silver oxides types that were in there before when the camera was working ... S76 and still, it was not a happy stable camera. Went to a local repair shop (formerly a authorized repair depot) with the camera and tried a few other different batteries (other than the S76 from another place) and still the same irrational results. It must just want to retire . I hate to part with anything so it will have a nice place being a bookend for now

Shooter
    35mm
    I have been servicing Olympus OM since 1977 and am factory trained on most models. I'd be happy to repair your OM-4 if you'd like to send it to me. Please visit my website for further information. www.zuiko.com

Replacing the circuit really isn't viable anymore. IF the part was available, net would be approx. $250 just for the circuit, then add 2-3 hours labor and you're at the price of a used 4T.

Hi All,

I need some info from the collective intelligence here. My wife's OM4 is chewing through batteries like Trump chewing through his apprentices. Is there a place still around than can replace the old circuit board with a newer OM4T one? If not, where is a good place to try and get another body. EBAY isn't a bad place but would prefer another venue. How is KEH ? Thanks all for reading.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin