Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,766   Posts: 1,484,158   Online: 779

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Where can I get a OM4 repaired

Hi All,

I need some info from the collective intelligence here. My wife's OM4 is chewing through batteries like Trump chewing through his apprentices. Is there a place still around than can replace the old circuit board with a newer OM4T one? If not, where is a good place to try and get another body. EBAY isn't a bad place but would prefer another venue. How is KEH ? Thanks all for reading.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuck
    How is KEH ?
    Fantastic and even better, they are now a sponser.

Jeremy
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Vermont Camera Works may be able to help you out. Their website is: http://www.vermontcamera.com/ and they can probably fix it. Give them a call.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I know of two repair shops, http://www.zuiko.com in NY, and http://www.olyfix.com in TX that specialize in Olympus repairs. A conversation with one or both of them might give you an idea on how repairable your wife's camera is.
    Jonathan
    -----------------------------------------------

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks people for the leads. Now to phone a few bodies and hope for the best.

John at Camtech (www.zuiko.com) is the one to go to in my opinion. He is very good, fast and sometimes throws in things for free. I had a very good experience when he fixed my OM-1n. Works great now. I highly recommend him. I have no connection other than being happy with his service.

--Jeffrey
    --Jeffrey

www.jsteinbergphoto.com (my avocation)
    www.reversis.com (my vocation)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    colrehogan - Thanks for the input. My airline camera is an OM-4t. Olympus hasn't had a good longterm reliability record except for the OM-4t (I hope?).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hortense
    Olympus hasn't had a good longterm reliability record except for the OM-4t (I hope?).
    I must have got lucky then. I have 6 OMs, some of which I have had since the 1970s and none have ever had trouble, despite tough working lives.

David.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks to all for the repair info. Looks like the OM4 is due for a cushy job as a bookend. Just got the verdict from the local shop ... circuit board is kaput. Others I have contacted have the same verdict. As the old song goes, another bites the dust.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi Canuck,

I think the problem with your OM is not a serious one, so I doubt that you should have the PCB changed. In that case it's easier to buy a new camera, I think Well, the chewing on batteries almost always indicates the inner short circuit - I bet the wiring got loose somewhere, contacting with camera body. Or the corrosion products shorted something somewhere - it usually results from a leaked electrolytic capacitor. Usually it's easy to find and fix.

Good luck in your repair,
    Zhenya

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin