Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,565   Posts: 1,545,329   Online: 908

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reloading Film

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I use masking tape because it doesn't tear as unexpectedly as transparent tape. Once a tear starts with transparent tape, it quickly goes all the way through. Plus, transparent tape, for me anyway, is harder to completely remove from the spool and film than masking tape.

That said, and while it may not be a big issue for this use, masking tape definitely deteriorates with age. I learned this from using it for its primary function, masking. Old masking tape starts to curl at the edges and loses its stickiness. Sometimes stores keep their masking tape for a very long time, so make sure you are buying fresh tape. (Especially if you'll also be using it for painting your car or house! )

While I'd use Duct Tape for just about everything else, I'd never use it for taping film to spools!

-chuck

Shooter
    35mm
    I ask for used cassetes at photo labs; they usually come with a short leader (3-5mm) of film sticking out of the velvet.

Instead of attaching the bulk film to the spindle, I just tape (with regular transparent tape) it to the leader sticking out. No need to dissassemble the cassette and/or buy reloadable cassetes.

The photolabs usually give me a bag of 30-50 cassetes every time I ask them. Looking at the brand/type distribution, 99% of the films processed here are kodak consumer, with one or two Superias thrown in. Never found a slide film cassette.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tach
    I ask for used cassetes at photo labs; they usually come with a short leader (3-5mm) of film sticking out of the velvet.

Instead of attaching the bulk film to the spindle, I just tape (with regular transparent tape) it to the leader sticking out. No need to dissassemble the cassette and/or buy reloadable cassetes.
    This is brilliant! I'll have to ask for some the next time I'm at my lab!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin