Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,952   Posts: 1,557,983   Online: 1095

Shooter
    Multi Format

Free macro lens for 35mm format

I recently unearthed a long-unused and nearly forgotten 35mm format lens that I do not need and would like to give to someone who can put it to use. It is a Tamron SP 90mm f2.5 macro lens that focuses to 1:2 magnification. I also have the matched Tamron extension tube allowing focus down to life-size. I bought this lens new in 1984 and used it a lot for about six years. After buying Canon FD equipment in 1989 and a Canon 100mm macro a year later, the Tamron lens went into extended storage.

The lens is in decent shape and seems to operate fine, although I have not used it in 15 years. There is no front lens cap as I needed that for a lens in current use. A protective filter is on the front right now. The front element has some marks including one area about 2mm across and in about 5mm from the edge that looks like a bunch of pinprick-sized bubbles. I don't know what that is or to what extent it might affect the image produced.

Tamron lenses can be used on many camera makes via their interchangeable Adaptall mount system. This lens currently has a Canon FD mount attached. Mounts to fit other cameras are available from Tamron. The lens is in a case and I will include the original boxes if I can find them.

I would prefer to send this lens to someone who can use it, rather than someone looking for a freebie lens to later put on sale. I will ship this to a USA address only, and require the recipient to reimburse me for shipping expense. I also ask of the new owner, if after trying the lens you feel you got something worthwhile for free, to consider making a donation to APUG. Whatever you feel is appropriate.

Interested parties may PM me through this forum. I may not be able to reply right away as this looks to be a busy week.

Rick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rick, that's a very generous offer!

Come on boys and girls, the Tamron 90 Macro is one of the few GREAT lenses they ever made... snatch it up!
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have one of these, also purchased new around 1984 with an FD mount, and it's an outstanding lens.

When it came out originally in the 1980s it outperformed the comparable Leitz lens in certain ways. Have you compared it to your FD 100 Macro? I wouldn't be surprised if the Tamron were sharper, though the FD 100 has the attraction of being the only Heliar-type lens in the FD line, which could make it a nice portrait lens (I don't have one myself, so I haven't tested it, but it's an interesting possibility). The Tamron SP90 is a nice portrait lens too, but for different reasons.

A note on the Adaptall mount system--you can find Adaptall-II mounts for most cameras except EOS. Tamron made an Adaptall-II EOS mount briefly, but then stopped in favor of offering only fixed EF-mount AF lenses, so now the Adaptall-II EOS mount is something of a rarity, like the original FD-EOS converter.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Rick,

You have a PM.

Wayne

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    US only addresses... darn. Sounds like someone is going to have a lot of fun!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wayne, PM sent your way.

My apologies to any non-U.S. APUGers who may have been interested, but I wanted to keep the shipping as simple as possible.

Rick

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Rick,

THANK YOU!! Just in time for wild flowers, bugs, butterflies, and my favorite--- morel mushrooms.

Wayne

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As you may have guessed, Wayne was the first to respond and will soon have another lens in the camera bag. I need to get it sent to him quickly before the mycophagists get all his morels!

David,
    You had some interesting thoughts on the Tamron 90. I'm sure that I did some testing between the two lenses years ago but time seems to have stolen that particular memory. Anyways, you made me curious so I finished off a roll of film with some comparison shots taken with the two lenses. Not a scientific test, just some close-ups of small items around the house. Looking at the results, I can't say that one lens produces sharper results than the other. They both look pretty darn good to me.

Image sharpness with the Tamron was never an issue with me. I did have problems with the Adaptall mounts wearing out after a couple of years of heavy use. That's the main reason I bought the Canon macro with its fixed mount. Ever have problems with one of the Adaptall mounts after extended use?

Rick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Darn... I saw this too late!

Anyway, Wayne please post some pics taken with this lens....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rick,

I can completely understand your reasons - and the whole "gift horse in the mouth thing" too hehehehe, just too bad for me, that's all! It was very generous of you and speaks tonnes of the type of person one encounters in this great hobby! Cheers!

Peter

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin