Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,972   Posts: 1,558,670   Online: 990

Which Nikon flash for FM3-A

Well, I decided to get the new Nikon FM3A as my carry around camera (I am trying to take a roll of film a day to gain experience. A relative, a professional potographer suggested this).

My question is this: I notice the FM3A has TTL balanced fill flash with Nikon flashes. Whcih is a good match for this camera?

Any suggestions?
    --Jeffrey

www.jsteinbergphoto.com (my avocation)
    www.reversis.com (my vocation)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have the SB-27. Nice. Does all kinds of magic...but wish I hadn't been sucked in by the marketing hype. You can do just as well with a cheap flash - like the Sunpack 383 or even better, the Vivitar 283. Both have adequate power and a manual setting that allows you to adjust the output to fractions (1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16) of the total.

Spend the money you save on film and a notebook.

my $0.02

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree. I have an SB-50 which I use on the fm3a and an F80. I've given up on all the automatic settings and use the manual settings figured out by the guide number. I find it much more reliable. In other words, you don't need an expensive nikon flash.
    That said, one great thing about the SB-50 is that it can function as an off-camera slave, and is fired when it senses a flash going off on the camera (so the camera flash can be a real cheapo). This tends to give much better shadows than one flash next to the lens - i think anyway.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Jeffrey, I use an SB22s and it works just fine in TTL, it gives you bounce flash and has a decent guide number. It does not however have varialbe power outputs, rotating flash head and I have yet to find a diffuser for it, but it is small, light and I find it an excellent match for the FM3.

Mick

Shooter
    35mm
    Either the Vivitar 285, or if you want TTL capability (and you may later) go with the Sunpak 433D or Nikon SB-24. I have and use all of those flash units, and they are very good.

Kiron Kid

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin