Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,219   Online: 786

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: nikon on nikon?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The Vivitar Series 1 lenses are "push-pull" type of zooms with a variable fstop. A bit on the heavy side, but a good lens.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am with Bob and Mark: I use only Nikon lenses on my Nikon bodies. I just haven't thought about buying lenses by another brand because Nikon's lenses are the main reason why I use the Nikon system.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    As was suggested in another thread, pass on the zoom and any other lens and shoot the one you have until you feel it limiting your ability to get the shot you visualize.

Wickford,Rhode Island, US (suburban/rural)
    Shooter
    35mm

I need to learn more about this stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore
    I would check and see if it has a fixed aperture or if the maximum aperture changes over the range of the zoom

i.e. at 70mm it is f/4, but at 200mm it is f/5.6

On a manual camera like the F3 this is a real pain in the @%%!
    Jeremy--so which should I be looking for in the lens, the fixed or changing aperture?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chaim
    Jeremy--so which should I be looking for in the lens, the fixed or changing aperture?
    Oops, should have been more clear! I would go with a fixed aperture zoom before the variable aperture, a prime before the zoom, and if you don't need the telephoto then I would just stick with the 50mm until you have to pass over a lot of shots because you didn't have a longer lens.

I have been shooting 35mm film with a 35mm fixed lens for the past 3 months (just recently got back into 35mm) and have only passed up 3 shots that I can think of because I needed a longer lens.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chaim
    Just understand that fixed aperature zoom lenses are more expensive. I would go for the lens, the price isn't going to break the bank, and you will learn a lot from it.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    Just understand that fixed aperature zoom lenses are more expensive. I would go for the lens, the price isn't going to break the bank, and you will learn a lot from it.
    Not necessarily, www.keh.com (a very reputable company that I have had many dealings with and they are also an Apug sponser) has these lenses:

70-210 F3.5 VIVITAR SER 1 MACRO AI (62) 35MM SLR MANUAL FOCUS ZOOM TELEPHOTO LENS $56.00

This is the fixed aperture version of the Vivitar Series 1 70-210

70-210 F4 KIRON MACRO AI (62) 35MM SLR MANUAL FOCUS ZOOM TELEPHOTO LENS $35.00

I have heard many espouse the Kiron lenses as being above reproach. Kiron also made many of Nikon's lenses (such as the 70-150 series E which is highly touted).

If you are wanting a zoom lens then I suggest buying the Kiron lens from www.keh.com Even with 2-day UPS shipping it is cheaper than the Vivitar from the repair shop.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just to throw in an idle comment, but the Nikon 105/2.5 is famously sharp, a stop and a half faster, and probably lighter, than the zoom you're looking at. It's also relatively inexpensive on the used market. This is why I haven't bought another zoom for my cameras, though there are times I would appreciate not carrying a second lens in my pocket; primes are just faster for the weight, and sometimes you need that stop or two.

Just for reference, KEH lists an AI/AIS 105/2.5 for ~ $100, or a 104/4 MicroNikkor for ~ $150.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I hate to say it, but eBay is a great tool - even if you do not buy, you will see what the items are really worth to people who know (adjust for the occasional abnormality in price for either a great deal or someone who "just had to have it"). Now, I don't know how relevant this is, being a Canon story, but here goes:
    I bought a camera, a very decent 50mm lense and a Canon 70-200 zoom with "macro" focus (note the parenthesis - you DO NOT have a true macro lense there, its just a bit of a convenient misnomer) for $100 CDN(+/_ $75 US). Now, the camerais irrelevant here, but the package is not - the Canon lense I got was very sharp and I doubt gave anything away to the Vivitar (and prices seem to confirm this...) So, I would keep looking - while $85 is not a rip-off, its not exactly a great deal. And as good as the Vivitars are said to be, I doubt the Nikon optics will not be better.
    I have to say that a 70-200mm lense is great to have - its really an all rounder and I have got good use out of mine (until I traded it to a unsuspecting pawn shop owner for a 80-200 "L" lense, but I digress ). However, if prices are at all compareable, a Vivitar is just not worth the money - $85 will get you a consumer level lense by the manufacturer of your camera if you look hard enough. The Nikon optics are considered by many to be the best in the world, and almost everyone agrees that if not "the best", they are certainly outstanding. I would invest in them even if it meant paying a bit more (and I am a Canon guy..hehehehe). And that 50mm lense will be your best friend anyway! Cheers.

PS. The F3 is a great purchase - its already a classic because simply, few cameras out there are any better - its a gem! You will love the 100% view finder too! I will someday have one fo my own, when money no longer dictates that I shouldonly have one "system" of lenses!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Chaim,
    Hey, you're in Wickford, I'm in Providence. I've got an F3 also (love it). Anyways, my opinion is you should stick to the 50mm (I'm assuming it's a Nikkor) and bypass that so called deal. I really don't think it's a deal considering I've never paid more than $180 on a Nikkor lens off eBay. If you're just returning to photography you should learn to use the 50mm and get on the forum as often as possible to learn, learn, learn. I guarantee within a few months you'll be saying "thank God, I didn't buy that Vivitar and I waited for a better lens". I agree with the comment about the 105mm 2.5 which I own and love. I personally only use prime lenses and have never missed an opportunity because I didn't have a zoom. Just my $.02.
    Ara
    Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin