Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,646   Online: 694

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: nikon on nikon?

Wickford,Rhode Island, US (suburban/rural)
    Shooter
    35mm

nikon on nikon?

Hi all,
    I recently got a nice used nikon f3 with a 50mm lens. (I'm woefully underinformed about lenses, as you may realize as you read this.) Anyway, it was suggested to me to find zoom lens with a built-in macro. In particular, I've been offered a used Vivitar nikon-mount used lens 70-200 mm with macro for $85 from a reliable local repair shop.
    Questions:
    --does this sort of lens configuration make sense as an add-on to this camera--add telescopic plus close-up capability to the standard lens.
    --are nikon lenses significantly better than the competition?
    --where would I go looking for an equivalent nikon lens, if I decided on finding one?
    Thanks--

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The Vivital lenses were pretty common back during the time the F3 was selling new. I still have one myself, with a Nikon mount, which I also used an an F3. It won't match the quality of a modern lens, but it is a pretty good combination. I would take them up on the offer, I don't think you will be able to tell the difference between the Vivitar and the Nikon lens.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Vivitar 70-200 macro?
    Are you sure? I have one 70-200/4-5.6 macro (1:4) in Nikon AIS and it's a pretty decent lens. Doen;t flare up too much, color rendition is accurate and there is no light fallout.
    I'll double check any other details on it since I don;t have it with me.

Most vivitars were good, and the Series 1 were outstanding lenses for the time. Vivitar never caught with AF.

Now your questions:
    --does this sort of lens configuration make sense as an add-on to this camera--add telescopic plus close-up capability to the standard lens.
    70-200 is a very handy zoom lens to have, from small tele to tele. The close-up capability is something that maybe useful to you.

In most cases yes. But Vivitar "consumer" zooms are of comparable quality. The Nikons had better coatings IIRC.
    Othe rband to consider IMHO is Tokina, excellent quality both optical and construction wise.

--where would I go looking for an equivalent nikon lens, if I decided on finding one?
    eBay
    Last edited by titrisol; 04-21-2005 at 02:30 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If the Vivitar is a series 1 I would take it. Series 1s were (are) excellent even by today's standards. If not ask if can run a roll off color film though it, have it process at a mimi lab then have a 8X10 made to see if it will meet your needs.

Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just my opinion, but...

I bought Nikon cameras because of the lenses, not the body. Why $pend money on a great body and then buy use cheap lenses?

YMMV
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Images
    Zooms are convienient(sp) that is for sure but I like the speed, feel, and look of my primes. I only use Nikon lenses on my Nikon. Not because I am a snob, but because the lenses are the reason I bought a Nikon. Using another brand just never crossed my mind.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would check and see if it has a fixed aperture or if the maximum aperture changes over the range of the zoom

i.e. at 70mm it is f/4, but at 200mm it is f/5.6

On a manual camera like the F3 this is a real pain in the @%%!
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You'll likely get lots of differing opinions on this. While zooms have improved greatly in the last few years, older models were usually considered to suffer from too many compromises in optical design. As a result, many folks prefered to shoot only primes back then. But, if the unit you're considering would work well for what you're doing, and the price is consistent with what that model is currently going for on eBay, it might be a good choice for you - at least as an interim lens.

As you gain experience, however, you may find that investing in the best glass you can stretch the budget to afford will result in better images. Note that Kikon, like most current leading manufacturers offer "consumer-grade" and "pro" lenses, the former being good, and the latter being superb. But, be prepared to sell off the first born son.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chaim
    Hi all,
    I recently got a nice used nikon f3 with a 50mm lens. (I'm woefully underinformed about lenses, as you may realize as you read this.) Anyway, it was suggested to me to find zoom lens with a built-in macro. In particular, I've been offered a used Vivitar nikon-mount used lens 70-200 mm with macro for $85 from a reliable local repair shop.
    Questions:
    Thanks--
    I would second (or third!) the advice regarding Vivitar Series 1. I would add that if it is not a Series 1, it is kind of high. Check out KEH, http://www.keh.com, to see what they offer. They have great prices and I have always been happy with their service. They currently have Nikon zooms in that range for a similar price. Just make sure you get the AI version for your F3. They also have a Vivitar Series 1 70-210 for about $50 and a non Series 1 80-200 for $15!

Good luck!

Paul.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another thing to consider is the zooming method.

It can be either by pulling-pushing the lens or by turning a ring. I prefer the second, since I've found that the push-pull lenses "slip" after a while when you point them up-/downwards
    Mama took my APX away.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin