Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,650   Online: 681

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey Vanessa!

I have an X-700 too and I adore it. Great glass is plentiful and cheap, the body does everything you could ever hope for and is reliable as you could want. As Eric said, if you are looking for glass, check out Antony Hand's website: the Rokkor files.

IMHO if you are looking for lenses, be careful with eBay. Just remember, there is an absurd amount of excellent MC and MD lenses out there, you can really pick and choose from the most reputable dealers. FWIW, if you do comparison shopping with KEH online, you'll find that their prices are on par with eBay and you get a guarantee.

If you are looking for zooms instead of primes, you can't go wrong with the 75-210 f4 and the older 35-70 f3.5 (not the newer variable aperture).

There are really only two real problems that come up with the X-series and both are easy to correct. The first is degrading light-seals which is an easy fix and the second is failing capacitors. This is an easy fix too.

Hope that this helps,
    Kent
    Max Power, he's the man who's name you'd love to touch! But you mustn't touch! His name sounds good in your ear, but when you say it, you mustn't fear! 'Cause his name can be said by anyone!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Power
    Hey Vanessa!

There are really only two real problems that come up with the X-series and both are easy to correct. The first is degrading light-seals which is an easy fix and the second is failing capacitors. This is an easy fix too.

Hope that this helps,
    Kent
    Max,
    Would you please describe the failing capacitor problem/fix. I have an X700 with a shutter that won't fire. Sounds like this could be the problem. Thanks,

Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by William Parrish
    Max,
    Would you please describe the failing capacitor problem/fix. I have an X700 with a shutter that won't fire. Sounds like this could be the problem. Thanks,

Bill
    Hey Bill!

This is a fairly common problem, and a simple fix. There are up to three capacitors in the X-series system. One or all of them can fail over time and basically, the TTL meter will light up, but the shutter won't fire. I think that sometimes the mirror will hang up too. I had this problem on my first X-700 about 5 years ago. Everything would light up, but the shutter wouldn't fire. The shop I bought it from just replaced it with a newer body rather than sending it out for repair. I'm pretty certain that if you do a Google search for 'Minolta X-700 capacitor' or something like that you will find a number of resources. There is actually a chap on eBay who sells capacitor 'kits' and full instruction manuals on how to fix this, they're quite cheap. AFAIK it's one of those problems that a repair shop will charge you a fortune for, but if you're good with a soldering iron you can do yourself.

Hope that this helps, if not, let me know,

Kent
    Max Power, he's the man who's name you'd love to touch! But you mustn't touch! His name sounds good in your ear, but when you say it, you mustn't fear! 'Cause his name can be said by anyone!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gnashings
    OK, it was intended to be a humorous anecdote... you can un-bunch your panties now...

And kit lense or not, I don't know of any manufacturer that puts such shite on their cameras, even the consumer lines. Even a person who is very, very unfamiliar with photo technology WILL eventually discover that he is holding on to a piece of crap intended to prey on his lack of knowledge - either through experience or because someone will point it out to them. These products are called "entry level" for a reason - you buy them when you "enter" the hobby (or whatever photography is to you) - I know they don't travel in your lofty circles of photographic godliness, but these people do exist... they are called the genereal buying public. Look down, squint, and you WILL see them - down there, toiling with kit lenses and such...If that was my first experience with a brand, once I knew a little more, they would not see a dollar of my money when I was to make the next step and purchase a more advanced model. Probably why I've yet to see a kit lense that lousy from Canon or Nikon...they are doing a bit better than minolta is, last time I checked.

So THAT is the problem.

And you can relax, I am sure your decisons are based on lofty ideals and in-depth study, not superficial issue of aesthetics, still, you may have noticed the next to a comment about a camera you don't even own...

I will take all your posts a lot more seriously now, so humbled am I.

Sincerely,

Peter, born of the inferior, kit-lense buying grey, huddled masses.

Well,

I do have to say you have a most eloquent way of saying nothing, have you checked out the kit lenses included with Canon or Nikon as of late, total crap in my opinion..as far as owning the camera, you have no idea what cameras I own, do you? My current inventory of Minolta cameras include 3 9xi, 2 8000i a Maxum 9, 2 7000i's and 4 7000's 2 7xi's and an SPxi and a 3xi in addition, I own 2 XD-11's an XD-5, several SRT series cameras! So you may not know of what you speak of!

Minolta has served me very well, in my 25 year career of shooting pictures for a living..but as anyone knows, if you want the quality camera's, you sure don't buy the kit lenses..

There my panties are 'unbunched' as you like to say, and it seems as if we both have the ability to understand our own humor, but not understand each others humor!

As as a person, that not only retails photographic equipment under my own business and a person that also spent many years in the photo store industy, I can assure, you, that I always told people not to buy the kit lenses on any of the kits, and then proceeded to show them why!

You are now welcome to crawl back in your corner, and I will not respond to you again.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bill,
    This web-site explains the repair quite well: capacitor problem

Here is a listing on eBay for a capacitor repair kit: Capacitor Kit

I have never used one, and don't know anything about the chap, I just remember running across his listing a while back.

Kent

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Join the ever-shrinking but reclusive group of Minolta fanatics. I have the SR-7, the X-570 and X-700, and a bang around X-G1. Then I have the Maxxums 800si, 5, and 7. It is the Minolta glass there. I stumbled into the 800si and the 5 following theft of my 7000i while on a trip to New Mexico. I have considered abandoning the entire Minolta line as recently as today. The F100 felt like a dream in my hand, but there is no way I would give up my MC 85mm f/1.7, or the 70-210mm f/4 that are like old friends. The cameras are reliable and versatile and when used with practice and care produce beautiful images (like all cameras). Once you get beyond the P-mode, they can be fun. I like the multiple exposure mode in the 3 AF cameras. I like the cheap but wonderful glass in the Manual Focus cameras that I have held onto for so many years. And most of all, I like the surprise when I show up with a camera that is not a Nikon or Canon, but still very professional. Yes, we Minolta shooters are a strange bunch, but not all that different from the Pentax and Olympus crowd. Glad to have a good body with spectacular cheap glass in hand.
    Luke

To create one's own world in any of the arts takes courage.

Georgia O'Keefe

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Power
    Bill,
    This web-site explains the repair quite well: capacitor problem

Kent
    Kent,
    This is definitely my problem. I had this camera stripped down almost to the shutter box. Figured it was a bad shutter, and not worth replacing. Now its sitting in pieces in a Tupperware container. I'll have to see if I can reassemble it, and then get the capacitor kit. Thanks much.

Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Satinsnow,

No, panties still buched. And it is arrogant know it alls like you that make any hobby harder to access for beginners and people without your huge wealth of knowledge and experience (which you seem inclined to mention in every second sentence - insecure, are we?). There are people who go to their camera outlet in the mall and expect some degree of knowledge to get them started. They are not idiots, they just don't know where to start. They usually buy a major brand because it is all they know of and assume that the name on the camera will afford them some degree of assurance. And as you know, a lot of these stores do not have anyone behind the counter to help - highschool kids working for beer money. And in the days before the internet, info was much harder to come by. These people buy the kit lenses. These people expect a minimum of functionality and use out of their investment - they do not expect that a major name brand will hand them something that is near useless.
    For specifics sake, the camera is a very entry level Minolta XP si, the lense is a 28-80mm (I was mistaken about the focal length in my previous post.) And no, I have yet to see any lense, on any major make camera that was as useless as that one. At least most things that don't work can be used as paper weights or book ends - this thing is too flimsy even for that.

The point of my initial post, was that Minolta has been a major player and a great alternative that was as good and often better than Nikon or Canon - and that is why I was so shocked that the camera my father bought these many years ago was in many ways a dud.

And the 7000 was, and still is one of the ugliest piecesof photo equipment ever made. It is the photographic equivalent of pink leopard print tights and Flock of Seagulls music... It is just... so 80's...
    And alright, so you DO own a 7000 - now I see that you percieved my comment as a personal slight...Sorry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Edited, not worth it...

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by NessaC
    Anyone else use one of these cameras -- I picked up an X-700 a while back and it's the best camera I've used. Albeit I've owned some lousy cameras in the past, but this one is easy to use and takes amazing pictures, I'm just an amateur, too. Any other stories?

Vanessa
    I once (many moons ago) borrowed a Minolta SRT100b and was really impressed by the smoothness, quietness and generally refined feel compared to my usual Pentaxes of that era. I'm not sure that the results were any better or worse - both were pretty good - but I recall thinking that if I was just getting kitted up from scratch I'd probably have gone for the Minolta system.
    Steve
    PS The owner of the camera had bought it duty-free in Oz and came in through British customs thinking they wouldn't notice a brand spanking new camera around his neck. They did!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin