Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,830   Posts: 1,582,269   Online: 988

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here's another Minolta fan.
    The body (mine is a 505si) is rather cheap and as long as you can do fully manual, it's OK. I also like the fast AF for shooting sports.
    Lenses are easy to find second hand. I bought a used 70-210 for less than 20 Euros, couple of months ago.

G

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    SRT 101 with a 58mm F1.8 and a 35-70 F3.5 zoom.
    It's my favorite beater camera. Takes a licking, doesn't complain, goes places I'm afraid to take my Rollei and takes great photos.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails smile_web.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow
    'Paying for all those features'? The Maxxum 50 is not that expensive of camera, you would paid more for a new manual camera than the 50 cost, unless you purchased used.....I know, it is all backwards now a days...

Dave
    I would have gotten a used manual. When you add up the cost for the 50 body and the lenses I could have gotten significantly more for a used manual.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a 7000 and an HTsi Plus. As far as the comments about the 7000, how can you think it's ugly? Maybe you mean the 7000i? I think the grip on it (the 7000) is great and it has a solid feel about it too. The HTsi Plus is a very underrated camera. It is very light and has a lot of plastic on it, but it has HSS for the flash system, wireless flash, and it does spot meter plus a bunch of other stuff. Everybody's kit lenses suck. They are meant to be manufactured in bulk and packaged with the consumer cameras. I find that Minolta shot itself in the foot too many times and the other two camera companies simply had better marketing and support for the pros.

Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    the Maxxum bodies offer far more than any of the Manual bodies ever offered.
    Dave, the Maxxum bodies are all AF, though, aren't they? I'm just wondering (I could be wrong, though) Minolta's 'best' manual focus was the X-700, wasn't it? In other words, without going AF, what is the 'most advanced' body one can go with?

Cheers,
    Kent
    Max Power, he's the man who's name you'd love to touch! But you mustn't touch! His name sounds good in your ear, but when you say it, you mustn't fear! 'Cause his name can be said by anyone!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Power
    Dave, the Maxxum bodies are all AF, though, aren't they? I'm just wondering (I could be wrong, though) Minolta's 'best' manual focus was the X-700, wasn't it? In other words, without going AF, what is the 'most advanced' body one can go with?

Cheers,
    Kent
    I don't know Max,

I don't remember the 700 offering any more than the XD-11 offered, I shot a couple of X700 and did not find it to be better than the XD-11 I shot for years, and yes the Maxxum bodies are all AF, and many of them are also Manual Focus, Manual Exposure, or 100% manual if you want them to be, I have not found my Maxxum bodies to be any better than my older Minolta's, just a change of cloths in my opinion, although I do like my 600, auto foucs, when shooting wildlife, the auto focus is a nice feature.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cheers for the info Dave!

Kent
    Max Power, he's the man who's name you'd love to touch! But you mustn't touch! His name sounds good in your ear, but when you say it, you mustn't fear! 'Cause his name can be said by anyone!

Shooter
    35mm
    More or less, does it fill the need you have, at least were I live, we only paid about $150.00 for a Maxxum 50.

Dave

Sorry, not trying to be an arse, as one individual already called me in this thread, but $150.00 is a pretty fair price, perhaps you need to read your manual some more, the Maxxum bodies offer far more than any of the Manual bodies ever offered.
    That last comment is really insulting. Not only have I read my camera manual but I fully understand how to operate my camera. Understanding how my camera works has absolutely NOTHING to do with what I now believe would have been a better choice for me. While $150.00 is a relatively low price for a camera BODY with the features of the 50, it's not necessarily a drop in the bucket for a person with a limited budget. I am not so stupid that I think there are really great cameras for an even lower price. The price of the body is NOT even an issue. I never said it was, though I suppose I can how that might be assumed. It is the cost of the lenses that is beyond my reach. I cannot afford the lenses and accessories that I want. Ebay is not an option - and being that I am not on trial here I don't see that it's necessary for me to explain why.

Being that I don't use the features on my 50 and have no desire to do so, being that I NEVER use auto-focus and NEVER will, it would seem that buying a used manual body and used manual lenses would have better fit my very restricted budget. As I said before, $150.00 is not a drop in the bucket for me. I have to save for every piece of equipment I buy. I shouldn't have to justify my choices though.

I'm no great photographer but I have been praised for how well my photos come out considering I do not use a flash or other accessories, I don't use auto-focus, I often ignore the built in metering (which is the only meter I have), and I don't always use a tripod. I'll upload a couple images just to back up my words, but I might not get to it until tomorrow as I'm supposed to be studying for a test in the morning.

Shooter
    35mm
    Anyte,

I am sorry, I was not trying to insult you in any way...

If your not using the features on your 50, you would not be using the features on the newer manual focus models either, what exactly is it your trying to do that your 50 won't do for you?

In the world of cameras, your always going to be buying more that what you may be using, the camera companies always put more in than most of of can take out of a camera.

I am not and no one else is putting you on trial, you were the one that brought up the point, it may be better to talk about what you have and some of us that shoot this brand of camera can help you along to achieve the goals you have for it.

Your images are not the point, and to be honest with you I have no reason to see them, you have taken this the wrong way, of course I am arrogant, as another has pointed out, but if you can get over that, I might be able to help you achieve your goal with this camera.

sorry if that sounds smug, but you were the one that posted the orginal answer about buying more than you thought you needed.

Dave
    Do you always selectively read or is this a special treat you reserve for people you've had little contact with?

"It is the cost of the lenses that is beyond my reach. I cannot afford the lenses and accessories that I want."

Instead of reading what I wrote you continue to insult me. You obviously are too arrogant to read the words of someone that you, for inexplicable reasons, deem beneath you.

"It is the cost of the lenses that is beyond my reach. I cannot afford the lenses and accessories that I want."

The camera does everything it needs to do but piss out a couple grand for the lens I want. Can you make my camera start pissing out money so I can buy the very expensive lens I want? If you can do that then you can be of help to me. I understand how to operate the camera. I can also program telephone and voicemail systems. I can operate and repair copiers. I can sew, knit, and crochet. I built my computer myself - I picked and assembled all the parts. I installed all the software. I can operate and repair small bindery equipment. I can even work my DVD player without assistance. And to think I didn't have a manual or training for most of the above. Perhaps now you can stop pretending my problem is that I'm an idiot.

This really can't be that hard to understand unless you are some stuck up arrogant snob that thinks money grows on trees and only the very newest of equipment has any value.

I would suggest you re-read ALL my posts and ask a host of friends to interpret their meaning before you deem to insult me further.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Now now children, count to ten before posting. Or at least carry on your war with private messages and save the rest of us from this computer rage.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin