Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,945   Online: 1199

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Baker
    I have a 7000 and an HTsi Plus. As far as the comments about the 7000, how can you think it's ugly? Maybe you mean the 7000i? I think the grip on it (the 7000) is great and it has a solid feel about it too. The HTsi Plus is a very underrated camera. It is very light and has a lot of plastic on it, but it has HSS for the flash system, wireless flash, and it does spot meter plus a bunch of other stuff. Everybody's kit lenses suck. They are meant to be manufactured in bulk and packaged with the consumer cameras. I find that Minolta shot itself in the foot too many times and the other two camera companies simply had better marketing and support for the pros.

Paul
    It must be the 7000 i - the square, tiny chrome button ridden one. And it was simply meant as a humorous comment. For example, I love old SAABs ( to use a car analogy), I think they're great... but most people think they may actually cause hysterical blindness with their appearance, hehehehe. Same goes for that minolta, except I am one of those people that didn't find a soft spot for whatIfound to be a square (pun fully intended!) peg trying to fit into my round... never mind - that just sound TOO WRONG. I'll stop now.

As far as the lense goes... well... I know what kit lenses are, what they are meant to do. I am fully aware of their inherent short comings, and that they span across the board, sparing no manufacturer (or rather, no manufacturer sparing us). But this thing was just too much: I hope someone has had the displeasure of trying to use this thing so they could chime in and perhaps explain what I am obviously failing to get across... Its not just a cse of flimsy built (although its there too) or questionable optical performance (again, present!) - but the added insult to the kit lense injury of providing a switch for manual mode only to let you learn that no, in fact you cannot focus with your hand, you have to turn a flimsy little ring left or right making the slooooow servos move the actual focusing elements of the lense at a constant speed, which is too slow to catch anything, and yet impossible to modulate so that even a still subject cannot be brought to focus as the on-off switch controlling the focusing mechanism movement will either go too far or stop short of where you want it to be...
    My point baout kit lenses is that many people in this hobby, or profession to many, assume that every person has their knowledge of what is, to them, obvious. Well, most newcomers do not. They may, later down the line (perhaps quite soon), but not when they go to their mall camera outfit and take the salesman's word for what is a good camera for them.
    So no, I beg to differ, not EVERYONE knows about the "curse of the kit lense", unfortunately those are the people most likely to buy one - and this particular 28-80mm lense went above and beyond in the "useless" dept.

Which I think is a perfect illustration for the point you yourself have made, Paul:

"I find that Minolta shot itself in the foot too many times..."

My point exactly, and this particular camera, or rather lense, was just one of those bullets firmly wedged in Minoltas big toe.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    WOHOOOO!!!!
    Came to school this AM and a SRT200 was on my desk with a note from a professor. He doesn;t use it anymore and wonders if I can use it
    The battery compartment was empty, it is thus clean. The shutter seems to be accurate and the camera is in very clean condition.
    The lenses are not Rokkors though... Accura Formula V 28/2.8 and Hanimex 135/2.8
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by anyte

Being that I don't use the features on my 50 and have no desire to do so, being that I NEVER use auto-focus and NEVER will, it would seem that buying a used manual body and used manual lenses would have better fit my very restricted budget. As I said before, $150.00 is not a drop in the bucket for me. I have to save for every piece of equipment I buy. I shouldn't have to justify my choices though.
    Hey anyte,
    If you're not too heavily invested in the AF bodies (of which, to be honest, I know very little), might I suggest switching to one of the X-series bodies? I have an X-700, which was supposedly 'the best' of the Minolta manual bodies before Minolta went AF. It has a full programme mode, full TTL flash capability and it does all sorts of other neat tricks, as well as being useable fully manual and in AE mode (my favourite). The best thing, however IHHO is that there is some really excellent MC and MD glass out there going for a song. The X-series bodies are dirt cheap and suffer from only one real issue which is easy and cheap to fix if it happens. You can build up an excellent system which will probably do you for the rest of your life, for peanuts. Besides, although I've never had AF glass, I'm willing to bet that there is less to go wrong with manual lenses. FWIW, apparently AF lenses don't focus as well as manual lenses, even when used in manual mode. Even the prices from KEH are low. Antony Hand's site: The Rokkor Files is a brilliant source of information on most of the bodies and lenses.

Cheers,
    Kent
    Max Power, he's the man who's name you'd love to touch! But you mustn't touch! His name sounds good in your ear, but when you say it, you mustn't fear! 'Cause his name can be said by anyone!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Power
    ... Minolta's 'best' manual focus was the X-700, wasn't it? In other words, without going AF, what is the 'most advanced' body one can go with?

Cheers,
    Kent
    I've had an X700 for years, and it's a great camera. However, recently, I added an XD-11, since it does all that the X700 does, plus it has shutter priority, which the X700 does not. You can find stuff on the internet that will tell you that the XD-11 is the "best" Minolta. Ditto for the X700. YMMV

The x700 was the last manual camera Minolta sold, and it just went out of production a few years ago. The XD-11 is older. Both nice cameras.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'd have to agree that the 28-80 is the stinker of the lot. As far as the manual focus/auto focus button, alot of people have started doing that and I don't see why. I guess it's to make it faster to switch over from one to the other. I find that I don't use the AF function much when I'm trying to take a picture of anything moving or for portrait pictures. It just hunts around.

Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown
    I've had an X700 for years, and it's a great camera. However, recently, I added an XD-11, since it does all that the X700 does, plus it has shutter priority, which the X700 does not. You can find stuff on the internet that will tell you that the XD-11 is the "best" Minolta. Ditto for the X700. YMMV
    Aw Geez David, ya just had to say that, didn't you I went to Antony Hands' site to check out the XD-11...And now I'm gonna have to get one.

I'll just tell my wife that it's all your fault! Yeah, sure that's the ticket...

Kent
    Max Power, he's the man who's name you'd love to touch! But you mustn't touch! His name sounds good in your ear, but when you say it, you mustn't fear! 'Cause his name can be said by anyone!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by anyte
    I'm no great photographer but I have been praised for how well my photos come out considering I do not use a flash or other accessories, I don't use auto-focus, I often ignore the built in metering (which is the only meter I have), and I don't always use a tripod. I'll upload a couple images just to back up my words, but I might not get to it until tomorrow as I'm supposed to be studying for a test in the morning.
    So... have I missed something? Do you win points by having stuff/tools/accessories and not using them?

e.g. Do I get a hero biscuit if I leave my meter in the bag and expose my 4x5 using sunny 16? Do I get more points if throw away my lenses and make a pinhole using a rusty nail and a beer can?

Just trying to understand what it takes to be successful at this. I don't want to hang out with other photographers or exhibit my photos and find out I've done it all wrong and have to burn all my negs and start all over again..

That would SUCK!

someone please share the secrets with me!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    David, you are almost right about the last manual focus Minolta. It was actually the X-370s that was the last. The X-700 was the flagship of the modern manual focus, just before Minolta launched the first Autofocus with the 7000. I, too, am searching for an XD11 to add to the working bodies. Should complement the X570 and X700 nicely.

Luke
    Luke

To create one's own world in any of the arts takes courage.

Georgia O'Keefe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by unohuu
    David, you are almost right about the last manual focus Minolta. It was actually the X-370s that was the last. The X-700 was the flagship of the modern manual focus, just before Minolta launched the first Autofocus with the 7000. I, too, am searching for an XD11 to add to the working bodies. Should complement the X570 and X700 nicely.

Luke
    Luke,
    Just out of curiosity, which do you prefer: the X-700 or the X-570?

I ask because everywhere I look Minoltaphiles seem to prefer one over the other, but seeing as you have both, I wonder if you use one more than the other, and why.

Cheers,
    Kent

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ian,
    You'll be lucky to get today's hero biscuit for your demonstration of snotty attitude.
    You might want to see if a local community college offers a class in people skills 101.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin