Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,176   Online: 810

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by unohuu
    David, you are almost right about the last manual focus Minolta. It was actually the X-370s that was the last. The X-700 was the flagship of the modern manual focus, just before Minolta launched the first Autofocus with the 7000. I, too, am searching for an XD11 to add to the working bodies. Should complement the X570 and X700 nicely.

Luke
    Mea culpa. You're right, Luke, I forgot about the 370. Unfortunately, it didn't outlast the 700 by much.

I'm just glad that lenses are plentiful and affordable. I have a collection of both MC and MD mounts. I just added a Maxxum, but I'm not too sure about it yet ...

Cheers

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Baker
    I'd have to agree that the 28-80 is the stinker of the lot. As far as the manual focus/auto focus button, alot of people have started doing that and I don't see why. I guess it's to make it faster to switch over from one to the other. I find that I don't use the AF function much when I'm trying to take a picture of anything moving or for portrait pictures. It just hunts around.

Paul

And this one was actually impossible to focus by hand - even in manual mode, you had to get the motors to move the focus by turning a ring left or right, without adjustment for how fast it would move - you had one speed: waaaay too slow 90% of the time, and 10% of the time too fast to get it exactly right!!! I hope they learned a lesson there! Too bad, because 28-80 is a very useful range of lengths for a walk around lense!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have the 28-135mm f4-4.5. It is a very nice lens that covers the range well. The only shortfalls are it's poor close-focussing ability and you can't really put a hood on it.

Paul

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Gee I didn't think Minolta people were so "aggressive"! Always figured they were the layed back, hippy dippy photographic crowd. The ones that would wear 60's glasses and have scarfs around their necks. Just because.

Actually my first camera was a Minolta SRT101. Loved that camera and the 50mm F1.7 lens that came with it. I was very into the first book David Hamilton put out at that time (hey I was a teenager!) and he used a 101 as well. Since I wasn't into hot cars to get the chicks I guess I must have figured get the 101, get the hot naked broads LOL.

This camera served me well until I got into the press thing. Here we used Nikons and I immediately saw the difference in contrast and sharpness. As mentioned before the Minolta glass has a different feel to it, something that I personally like for people pics, but it didn't cut it for press work. The camera wasn't sturdy enough either. Besides the Nikons were free and they had lots of really cool lenses to use.

I eventually sold my beloved Minolta, but as they say you never forget your first.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy
    Ian,
    You'll be lucky to get today's hero biscuit for your demonstration of snotty attitude.
    You might want to see if a local community college offers a class in people skills 101.
    Snotty attitude?

Actually no - more a demonstration of my obscure sense of humor.
    So apologies to those I offended. I wasn't picking on anyone in particular, just some of the concepts presented.

"We now return you to your normal program"

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Group hug!!
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There we go, come on people now, smile on your brother, everybody get together...

I am going to stop now

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, I love my Minolta gear. I started out AF with an old 7000i, moved on to a 7xi and currently use both a Dynax 7 and a Maxxum 7. But I also have stepped into the manual focus. I currently own a SR-7, SRT-101, SRT 101b, XE-7, XD-7,and a X-700. Of them all the XE and XD are my favorites. My son is learning on the X-700. I've also got a Hi-Matic 7SII which just went out for service. If shooting landscapes I prefer the MF gear over my AF in most situations. I also love the fact that so many people snob Minolta because it makes the used gear much easier and cheaper for me to buy, LOL!!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesdak
    I also love the fact that so many people snob Minolta because it makes the used gear much easier and cheaper for me to buy, LOL!!
    Hear, hear....but now I fear you have let the secret out. Expect our gear prices to soar and find those hard to find lenses now impossible like the 135mm f/2.
    Luke

To create one's own world in any of the arts takes courage.

Georgia O'Keefe

Images
    I used Minolta for years. The XE's, the 5 and the 7, should IMHO have a place in the photography hall of fame. I think that was the first Leitz/Minolta collaberation. That short throw, smooth as silk film transport still freaks me out. Sadly around the time of the XK, their QC seemed to dip and everything that I bought turned into an instant repair PITA so I switched systems.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin