Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,934   Posts: 1,585,598   Online: 741

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Konica Minolta cameras

Anyone else use one of these cameras -- I picked up an X-700 a while back and it's the best camera I've used. Albeit I've owned some lousy cameras in the past, but this one is easy to use and takes amazing pictures, I'm just an amateur, too. Any other stories?

Vanessa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have been using the Minolta Line for over 25 years now in my business, starting out with an XD-11 and now shoot with a 9XI and have always loved them, they have served for many years of banging about and shooting pictures for a living.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow
    I have been using the Minolta Line for over 25 years now in my business, starting out with an XD-11 and now shoot with a 9XI and have always loved them, they have served for many years of banging about and shooting pictures for a living.

Dave
    Same here. Started with an SRT 101. I have Nikons too. But the images with my Minolta glass are different. More smooth. Not smooth like Leica...but close. My Nikons are sharp and contrasty but dont' have that same "feel" as the Rokkor stuff.

My favorite lens is the 50mm 1.4 and my 85mm 1.7

Image with 50mm 1.4 MD:
    Smooth background. I can't explain it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails worm.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    I got a Minolta Maxxum 50 as my first serious camera just over a year ago. I enjoy it but I kind of regret paying for all those features that I never use. I keep my camera on full manual all the time, including focusing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    'Paying for all those features'? The Maxxum 50 is not that expensive of camera, you would paid more for a new manual camera than the 50 cost, unless you purchased used.....I know, it is all backwards now a days...

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow
    'Paying for all those features'? The Maxxum 50 is not that expensive of camera, you would paid more for a new manual camera than the 50 cost, unless you purchased used.....I know, it is all backwards now a days...

Dave
    OMG! That is so true! AF cameras are dirt cheap now. And these aren't even that old. When compared to buying a older Minolta SRT or XD or XE, or even the X-570/700, those costs more than used AF ones. And not to mention what the XK costs!

www.rokkorfiles.com. You wouldn't want to put your new Minolta AF lenses against these old ones. (well, I hear the defocus lenses and the 135mm round aperture lens is a gem)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NessaC
    Anyone else use one of these cameras -- I picked up an X-700 a while back and it's the best camera I've used. Albeit I've owned some lousy cameras in the past, but this one is easy to use and takes amazing pictures, I'm just an amateur, too. Any other stories?

Vanessa
    I have an X700, XD11, and four SRTs; and just recently went AF with a 650si!

You're in good company

Cheers

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sheeesh! What do they put in those Minoltas! They have a small but boarderline FANATICAL following! It may a chemical dependancy, guys!!!

Seriously though, they have an excellent rep and well deserved, and from what I understand there was a time when their lenses were the undiscovered gem of the optical world - some say THE best at the time, bar none!

The only negative comment I have is this: My father bought a low end consumer SLR body a few years back... and its a tad flimsy (then again, most omodern cameras feel that way next to a real, metal body)... But my biggest gripe was the kit lense - it is wihtout hesitation CRAP! Its a 28-75 I believe... and the sharpness at the extreme zoom ranges leaves a lot to be desired - but hey,its a kit lense. What I DO find unforgiveable is the fact that in manual mode, the lens is focused by pulling, then turning the zoom ring... and the AF motors actually move the focusing elements...there is no way to disengage this (the zoom itself works much the same) The result makes photographing rocks seem like action photography.... I couldn't keep a snail in focus...

I know that it IS a kit lense... but I just found that whole set up to be a blemish on Minolta (and yes, it is a Minolta branded lense - not off brand)

Then again, my uncle used a Maxxum 7000i for years, and its only sin was its unforgiveable ugliness (1980's.... what can you do...)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know that I have known anyone who EVER bought the kit Lens!!!!!

So what is the problem

And I DON't buy cameras based on what they look like, I find it far more important to see what they produce.

LMFAO!

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK, it was intended to be a humorous anecdote... you can un-bunch your panties now...

And kit lense or not, I don't know of any manufacturer that puts such shite on their cameras, even the consumer lines. Even a person who is very, very unfamiliar with photo technology WILL eventually discover that he is holding on to a piece of crap intended to prey on his lack of knowledge - either through experience or because someone will point it out to them. These products are called "entry level" for a reason - you buy them when you "enter" the hobby (or whatever photography is to you) - I know they don't travel in your lofty circles of photographic godliness, but these people do exist... they are called the genereal buying public. Look down, squint, and you WILL see them - down there, toiling with kit lenses and such...If that was my first experience with a brand, once I knew a little more, they would not see a dollar of my money when I was to make the next step and purchase a more advanced model. Probably why I've yet to see a kit lense that lousy from Canon or Nikon...they are doing a bit better than minolta is, last time I checked.

So THAT is the problem.

And you can relax, I am sure your decisons are based on lofty ideals and in-depth study, not superficial issue of aesthetics, still, you may have noticed the next to a comment about a camera you don't even own...

I will take all your posts a lot more seriously now, so humbled am I.

Sincerely,

Peter, born of the inferior, kit-lense buying grey, huddled masses.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin