Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,688   Posts: 1,548,738   Online: 1240

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by TPPhotog
    I don't know if it's of use but I only use ebay uk as I can't use palpay. Postage shouldn't be too bad from here.
    Well, but most of the sellers on ebay.uk post only to the UK

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by reinis
    It's not that I'm an utter beginner but there are some reasons I want to get a new camera:

*It's heavy (I know that theoretically it's good (it's harder to jar it))

*It's quite hard to focus precisely (compared to those SLR's that have the the split-image rangefinder, which I love)

* The mirror slap/shutter open and close is very jarring, and the shock is not absorbed

*The lenses I have are old and heavy, and I'd rather spend money on lenses that are really good, I don't see any sens of wasting money on lenses for a camera that's morally outdated. (which is one of the most important motives for buying a new camera and collecting some (I think, about 4 would be quite enough) lenses for it)

[sorry for my english]

Anyway, even if I had a camera that has the AE or P programs, most of the time I would use it as a manual camera. Just sometimes it's good to have those programs.
    While they don't all have AE, have you considered the Minoltas? They are very well made, have the split-image, DOF preview, mirror lockup, normal weight, the Rokkor glass is very good.

BTW what language do you speak? I'm curious to know what you mean by the Prakticas being "morally" outdated

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The pentax K-1000 seemed like a brick just like the Praktica to me, I think I'd like something with more features
    Try reading the information at www.photoethnography.com on the various 35mm cameras that are reviewed there. (Choose the Equipment link, then choose My Classic Camera Collection from the left-hand menu. There are a lot of write-ups on a lot of classic cameras, and they're all from the web site owner's personal experience.)

Weight wasn't something you mentioned in your original post, but since the weight of the camera is important to you, you should pay attention to the tables at the bottom of each review that include the dimensions for the cameras (including weight).

Each review also includes highlights of the features of the cameras. You'll be able to tell if the cameras have the features you want.

Although it's more expensive than the Pentax models I mentioned above, perhaps something like a Nikon FE-2 would be good for you. It's not quite as heavy as the Pentax, but it's still an all-metal body that will stand up to abuse. It has both manual and Aperture Priority shooting modes, depth of field preview, mirror lock-up (using the self-timer), a bright, user-replaceable view screen, 1/4000th top shutter speed, TTL flash metering, and an extensive range of lenses and accessories. I've been using one since they first came out, and it's never failed me. The only problem when compared to the Pentax system is the price; both the camera and the lenses will cost you at least double what the Pentax will. (Still much cheaper than the Zeiss lenses, though.) The Nikon FE should be even cheaper, and you only give up TTL flash metering and the slightly brighter viewscreen.

If the size of the camera is a problem, you might also look into the older Olympus cameras. They tended to be smaller than the cameras produced by other manufacturers. Olympus has a long history of introducing technical advancements in small camera bodies; if the size of the camera is important then the older Olympus models might be good for you.

The truth is that no camera is perfect for everyone, and one camera is rarely perfect for even one person. If you could list the top ten things that you want in a camera, in order, I'll bet someone here can make a recommendation that will be helpful to you. (You probably also want to give us some idea of how much money you want to spend.)

APUG is full of friendly people who love to share their knowledge and who love helping people who are new to an area of photography. You couldn't have come to a better site for information. If you can help us understand what's important to you, many of us would love to help you find the best camera for you.

Be well.
    Dave
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    35mm
    Oh, well, I speak Latvia, since I'm from Latvia.
    That's a Latvian proverb, which I just metaphrased in English.
    By that I mean that that the Praktica Technically is good and usable, but I don't see a reason for buying new lenses to it, since sooner or later I will need a new camera.
    And about Minoltas - I don't know anything, I just know that the Canon A-1 is quite good, and I just have used the Yashicas, and knoe they're better thatn the Praktica.
    "morally" outdated - it's that for some reasons You can't use the item, because it has some "qualities", which in present situation and time makes You consider using something that's more of today.
    Hope You at least got the taste of that proverb.

P.S. Ok, I'll try to list 10 most important things

And I could spend about (maximum)150-180 Euro (~ 230 $) for the camera and a 50 mm lens

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Download the manual for the Ricoh XR-X. That's the European name for the camera. Hard to find more value for the money.

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I live in Latvia, and getting anything from the USA is quite expensive (especially after joining the UE), so I actually can get only stuff from ebay.de, and there's no Centon stuff at all.
    This (generically) is something that I've heard before.

The solution for the last person with this trouble was for them to send me the amount of money that they wanted to spend, identify the eBay items that they wanted, then I'd buy for them using my eBay account and forward the items to them. It takes a bit longer, but at least they got a worldwide selection of photo items to choose from.

It seems to have worked rather well last time I did it, so if this procedure interests you and you'd like some help, let me know.

cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Reinis,
    If size & weight are considerations you may want ot consider the Pentax MX. It's full-featured as is the Olmpus OM series. Also very light & compact. Uses the K mount lenses or, with an adapter screw mount M-42 lenses.

Shooter
    35mm
    The Nikon FE-2 looks quite ok, though quite expensive.
    Well, I understand that the cheap ones will not have the DOF preview, although my Praktica has one, but it's not that important, if it makes the camera cost much more.

So some thing I'd like to have :
    Manual focusing
    It rather be cheap than expensive
    I'd like the Shutter-priority program
    I'd like to see the shutter and aperature info in my viewfinder
    It does not have to be a tank, but it should not be a soapbox either (like the Pentax Mz-m)
    TTL flash metering would not be bad, but not necessary
    It shout not be some kind of retro-camera

As I said, it could be something between Yashica fx-103 and Canon A-1

What do You think of The A-1?

And - again, thanks for replies, I've read them and inspected the cameras You adviced

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you want something lighter and with a bright viewfinder, try Olympus OM. They are light and with smooth mirrors (the OM-1 has mirror lock up). The OM-2n is perhaps the best mix of cost with manual and auto. They are reliable, have good battery life and there is loads of superb glass. It doesn't have shutter priority auto, though, although I have rarely missed it.

I would also agree that the Nikon FE-2 is a good choice, but not if you are left eyed. It switched on with the film wind lever and if you are left eyed you will bash your head with the lever and switch the camera off when you bring the thing up to your eye. I always thought the contempoary Canons, e.g. the AE-1 and A-1 were male jewelry at the time and still do. Sorry to Canon lovers.

David.

Shooter
    35mm
    You mean the A-1 isn't a good choice?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin