Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,524,010   Online: 845

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bartley
    This (generically) is something that I've heard before.

The solution for the last person with this trouble was for them to send me the amount of money that they wanted to spend, identify the eBay items that they wanted, then I'd buy for them using my eBay account and forward the items to them. It takes a bit longer, but at least they got a worldwide selection of photo items to choose from.

It seems to have worked rather well last time I did it, so if this procedure interests you and you'd like some help, let me know.

cheers
    Thanks, I'll keep that in mind
    Isn't a package from the USA to Europe expensive?
    And I think if not that,than the money transfer to any foreing bank is quite expensive.

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by reinis
    Thanks, I'll keep that in mind
    Isn't a package from the USA to Europe expensive?
    And I think if not that,than the money transfer to any foreing bank is quite expensive.
    Yes, it is true that there is some added cost, payable to the financial instututions for the transfer of funds and for the extra shipping step. I personally will contribute my time at no cost.
    The amount of desire that the "purchaser" has will determine how much money they wish to throw at solving the problem of obtaining the part in question.

A storey from personal experience ::

A couple of years ago, I found in Lithuania a couple of parts (military surplus) for an antique radio that I was restoring. By the time I was done with the costs of the money and the cost of the shipping, the price of the parts had tripled - the radio works pefectly !!

cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You mean the A-1 isn't a good choice?
    I hate them, but I am sure there are others who don't.

David.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I was in your shoes 2 years ago

I have been a serious shooter of black and white 35mm film for two years now and farting around in general with colour for 5 years. I picked up a Canon Ae-1 as my first manual focus SLR and shot a lot of film through it. They are relatively cheap on the market, I paid $250 CDn restored with a 50/1.8 lens. I built up a system with a 28mm wide angle lens my brother scored on Ebay and a 90mm telephoto given as a birthday present. The one complaint I have with the camera is when the battery dies the camera goes along for the ride. Another camera to consider is the Nikkormat FTN, the battery only runs the meter and its built like a tank. The same cannot be said for modern cameras. You will want a nikkor 50/1.4 to go with that.

Bill
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Large Format
    You mean the A-1 isn't a good choice?
    It sounds like you have you mind set on either the A-1 or, a yashica. As was mentioned previously by others, in 35mm, you're buying into a lens mount and glass. Both canon and yashica owners have wonderful glass available to them - though neither of these camera bodies is known to be particularily robust.

The later Pentax and Minolta cameras also fall into this category...and have the features you want (although AFAIK, shutter priority AE is only going to be found on the Minolta X-700 with MD lenses)

If you have used a Yashica and like it...get one and enjoy the fine glass.

Shooter
    35mm
    At a glance the Minolta X-700 looks just great. I mean it's features - the DOF preview, the A and P modes and the viewfinder that shows both aperature and shutter time
    Just have to check the avaliable lenses
    Are the MD lenses ok?
    Of course, I can search the web. I'm not that helpless

.. although - this is not nice: "On the downside, when in manual mode the viewfinder displays the recommended speed setting and not the actual one. One has to look at the speed setting wheel to know it and the camera can be used in manual mode while the photographer believes it is in auto mode. "

Seems like I want too much, but if I use the manual mode, that's inconvenient.
    Last edited by reinis; 04-25-2005 at 04:41 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin