Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,880   Posts: 1,520,465   Online: 986

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    One handy gadget which I did not know existed until the other day is Cokin filter-holder adapters with clamp screws instead of screw threads. I am just waiting for my order to arrive and look forward finally to using Cokin X-Pro filters with all the weird large-diameter LF lenses I own which have either no filter threads or inch-sized threads.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    B+W filters are about 1/2 the overall ring thickness of Tiffen filters. You can stack 2 filters w/ less chance of vignetting. They also screw on/off much easier than the tiffens. Multicoated versions are available.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gareth harper
    Exactly, keep em clean, and when you see flare shade the lens. Now do you really need an assiatant to do that?
    In the photo studios I worked in, that's exactly what assistants did, among myriad other things. However, for color correction to transparency film in the studio, we used gels in filter holders inside the view cameras to avoid flare, as well as always shielding the lens from the light source with a shade, gobo, flag, or whatever other means necessary. There are gel filter holders that clamp to the outside of the lens barrel with spring metal bands and fit inside the typical 4x5 or larger bellows (mostly non-tapered in studio cameras). Gels were kept very clean and replaced when marred or smudged.

If you have the interior room in a view camera, it's also much easier to carry one filter holder and a packet of different gel filters in the field. It really keeps down the bulk and weight.

Lee

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Gels, bellows, gobo, flag, bellows (non-tapered)?

A howp oor cale wi the EOS50 kens aboot aw this, cos a din'nae, ye mey as weel be bletherin dooble dutch as faur as I'm concernt.

Oh aye, the Tiffen is a little bulkier, so perhaps go for the basic Hoyas, B+W's or Koods. And look for secondhand stuff.

Images
    Cokin does, or did, make a Gel filter holder that slides in like a regular Cokin filter.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin