Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,931   Posts: 1,556,972   Online: 990

Shooter
    Multi Format

Lens for my new/old Pentax K-1000

Greetings All,
    I recently traded my accordion for this camera and the world of music is better off because of it.I have 2 very nice lenses,a 28mm and 50mm,but need a medium zoom or telephoto to complete the package.Any suggestions? Almost forgot,PRICE IS AN OBJECT!
    Thanks Much,
    Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The 135 mm F3.5 Pentax M lens is not to be sneezed at, dealer price in near-mint condition should be £40 - £50. I particularly like the Pentax 200 mm f4 M lens - I had one that was great, sold it, regretted it, and bought another that was equally great. One will probably cost £60. For about half this cost, lots of zooms by Tamron, Sigma, etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you're interested in quality, skip the zooms. Zoom lenses from the '70s and '80s were notoriosly bad, and unlike a fine wine, time hasn't made them better.

The SMC Takumar fixed focal length lenses have some of the best reputations in the world of 35mm photography. Search the web; there are plenty of sites with reviews of all of the Pentax lenses. A good lens in the 100mm or 135mm range would cost less and seriously outperform any zoom lens frm that era.

Unfortunately, the price of Pentax K-mount lenses has gone up lately since Pentax released the *ist-D digicams. Once people found out they could use these great old lenses on their digicams, the lenses started selling very quickly. Check KEH.com for a good idea of what the lenses are selling for these days.

(You might look for an old Pentax screwmount lens and a screwmount-to-K mount adaptor. These work well, and the price of the screwmount lenses hasn't soared like the price of the K mount lenses.)
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Get a 105 or a 135 Takumar as your teles. You can't go wrong with those.

Now if you rpefer a 70-200 zoom, look for a vivitar series 1 in pentax mount or a tamrom (latest crop is best)
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you have a 28 and a 50 the other lens to have is a telephoto. I was in exactly the same position many years ago and bought an 80-200 zoom. It all depends on what you shoot.

if you do not like zooms get two primes: one 85 or 100 or 135 and another 200 or 300. And of course a good tripod to go with the long lenses. You will need it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Sounds like you could make very good use out of a 105mm F2.8 multi-coated lens. The 100-105mm lenses by almost all manufacturers are of very nice quality and reasonable prices. They are an extremely useful focal length. A f2 85mm is also very nice to have. If you can find a Pentax K mount Macro with floating elements I could be the best choice of all.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a SMC 105/2.8 and a SMC-M 135/3.5, they are both great, but the 105 was 3 times as expensive as the 135. All 100mm lenses are usually that. 85mm ones aren't cheap either.

But all things considering, the lenses are just superb, and new Canon L lenses cost 10x as much so..

Shooter
    35mm
    [QUOTE=Mongo]If you're interested in quality, skip the zooms. Zoom lenses from the '70s and '80s were notoriosly bad, and unlike a fine wine, time hasn't made them better.
    QUOTE]

Mongo

I have to disagree with you on this one. There are some zooms from the mid 70's and on, that are very good. Check out the older Vivitar Series 1 and Kiron zooms. They hold their own against the quality zooms of today. I've used them professionally for 25+ years now, and they deliver the goods. However, there were, and still are some third party zooms that I would never use.

Kiron Kid
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LastRideHome.jpg  

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin