Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,549,191   Online: 1229

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

W/A Lenses For Canon F.D Cameras

Hi. Peter,
    I use both the 35mm fa2.8 and the 28mm f2.8 in my Canon system, I think that which wide angle lens you buy should depend on the one that would be of most use for the kind of shots you take the most of and, what your main photographic interests are, if you have the standard 50mm lens for most people a 28mm lense is the one most people would choose if they were limited to one

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Bentley, you confirmed what I was suspecting - I have a decent 50 mm (1.8 SC), and it is by far my favorite lens. (and I have a 80-200mm "L" lens that I almost literally stole froma pawn shop). I love the standard lens, it teaches a beginner like me so much, I find, by making me work for my shots. On the other hand, I think given that I will only have one, the 28mm gives me a little more of a "spread". I think I might have got one for a really good deal too. (Thanks Nikki!)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a Tamron Adaptall 28mm f2.5. This is one of the early BBAR lenses. It is a very sharp lens and (to my eyes) distortion free (which is more than can be said for my later model 24mm Sigma which exhibits discernable barrel distortion).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was wondering how the off-brands compare with Canon lenses - I wonder how much of the "its got to be Canon" thinking stems from... well, a certain amount of snobbism. Then again, I am sure that generally its a safe bet and the name carries a certain amount of security for a buyer (other than most modern kit-lenses...)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

17 Tamron

I've got a 17mm Tamron that I use with various old Canons (ftb, AE1, etc) It has got to be one of the sharpest lenses I use. The distortion is minimal at anything over a few feet and the flexibility of shooting with it makes it a wonderful street lens. You can shoot from the hip and get amazing images. i also have the 35mm 2.0. Great, but not any sharper than the Tamron. Of course the Tamron cost twice as much as any of the camera bodies, but, hey... you have to have priorities. Glass comes first.

Bear in mind that Canon apparently did not make all of their lenses, they farmed out many of the lesser aperture ones.
    You can usually tell them apart as the Canon made ones have smooth black metal while the outsourced ones have a sort of sandblasted look to them.
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very interesting! I know that in todays economics its impossible to find a major brand that does not "outsource" some things to trusted (hopefully) suppliers. I am beginning to think that a 28mm f2.8 would be a great balance. And I am sure the short focal would offset for the maximmum apperture by allowing me to shoot at slower shutters. And then, one day, when I am rich and famous I can buy all the fancy glass I want!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gnashings
    Thanks Bentley, you confirmed what I was suspecting - I have a decent 50 mm (1.8 SC), and it is by far my favorite lens. (and I have a 80-200mm "L" lens that I almost literally stole froma pawn shop). I love the standard lens, it teaches a beginner like me so much, I find, by making me work for my shots. On the other hand, I think given that I will only have one, the 28mm gives me a little more of a "spread". I think I might have got one for a really good deal too. (Thanks Nikki!)
    If you can get hold of the Canon F.D. 28mm f2.8, which I have seen the latest version of very recently in mint condition for about £40 second hand in a few local retailers, you won't be disappointed, it's fast enough for just about any kind of general photography, is sharp and contrasty, gives an even light distribution over the frame,and if you stick to Canon marque lenses they are all designed to have the same colour balance. Don't worry that it's not f2 or even faster, lenses in general in my experience of moderate appature are simpler to devise( i.e they aren't f1.8designs that have been "stretched " to make them FA1.4) , it's easier to control abberations in a lens of more modest speed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I think my search continues - and the Canon 28mm f2.8 is what I will be hunting again. I think it will be a good compromise for me: fairly wide, fairly distortion free, and reasonably fast. Now I just have to snipe one that is going at a great price...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Although I shoot LF too, I have a pretty extensive collection of FD glass. If you can swing it, try getting both:
    [1] Canon FD 20mm f2.8 and
    [2] Canon FD 28mm f2.8

Yes, you will get distortion with the 20mm, but for landscape and massively sharp Depth of Field in 35mm, the 20mm is a tremendously fun lens - sort of like LF wide angle feel in 35mm format. 20mm come up on eBay with reasonably regular frequency - a bit more pricey than the 28mm, but a whole lot of fun. The 28mm is a consumer lens so, with patience, you should be able to get a cheap snipe eventually.

Finally, if you are looking for something fun on which to spend your income tax refund, have a look at the Canon FD 15mm F2.8 too. It is a full 180 degree fisheye across the diagonal on a full rectangular - just keep your tripod legs (or your own feet) out of the edge of the image. Another fun lens!

" Be happy. Take a silver break today !!!"
    MP_Wayne

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin