Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,181   Online: 690

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the input - I will no doubt, someday, have all these lenses - but for now, budget is a BIG constraint. As such, I think the 28 f2.8 will do nicely for me as a good compromise - for starters

When you say "consumer" - how bad is it? I've read decent reviews of it, then again, sme people are easier to please than others

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    I have the FD 28/2.8, it is quite nice. I just picked up the Sigma 16mm 2.8 fish, and am having a great time remembering just how silly I can get. :rolleyes:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you can find one, you may want to find the old Canon 35mm f3.5 Breech Lock lens. I had one of these when I used the Canon F1n, Canon F1 New, Canon EF over 20 years ago before switching to my Leica R series cameras. This particular lens, though quite slow was known for having exceptional performance. That was why I purchased it and it produced outstanding performance of color, sharpness, and contrast on my transparency film.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Before it was stolen I had a 28 2.8 FD. I was shocked at just how darn good it was, because it was so cheap.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner
    Before it was stolen I had a 28 2.8 FD. I was shocked at just how darn good it was, because it was so cheap.
    This statement is very true. The 28mm 2.8 FD lens is the equal of any of my comparable Nikon, Pentax and Minolta glass.
    You can find excellent examples of the Canon 28mm 2.8 on the Bay for $50 to $65 from reputable sellers. That's where I got mine.
    That said, you can sometimes find a great deal on the 24mm 2.8 FD. I'm talking less that $80. I have one and am amazed at the clarity, contrast and lack of distortion.
    Ken

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I sold my 28mm 2.8 when I bought the 28mm F2 and can confirm that apart from the extra stop there is no gain in sharpness at all.

The 2.8 is a really top performer and at usually ridiculous prices( I sold mine for $80AUD )

I also have the 24mm 2.8 SSC in the breech lock and find these lenses to be heavier and more solid feeling that the later FD lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tony,

No question that the old Canon Breech Lock lenses are heavier and more solid than the newer FD lenses. It is eerie how the Breech Lock turns on its own without even being turned. I used and was part of the era of photographers using the Canon Breech Lock lenses and the introduction of the new FD lenses. There was a massive exodus by many of the Canon users to the Nikon system at that time because many of the users did not like the new FD lenses and thought that they were not as solid or strong. I held on a little longer till I switched to the Leica R4SP in 1984. But those Breech Lock Canon lenses were excellent and very reliable.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by naturephoto1
    There was a massive exodus by many of the Canon users to the Nikon system at that time because many of the users did not like the new FD lenses and thought that they were not as solid or strong.
    Agreed. While I stayed with the Canon FD system when they made the change to the "n" style FD lenses, I much preferred the older breech-lock style lenses. Today my old Canon SLR gear pretty much sits in the closet unused, my main 35mm camera now is a Leica M.

Jim Bielecki

Quote Originally Posted by tony lockerbie
    I sold my 28mm 2.8 when I bought the 28mm F2 and can confirm that apart from the extra stop there is no gain in sharpness at all.
    i take it there's also no loss of sharpness?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by raizans
    i take it there's also no loss of sharpness?
    Quite right, none at all.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin