Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,291   Posts: 1,535,449   Online: 930

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Canon FD Lens Recomendations, please!

Hi All,

I need a wide angle lens, and I decided that going for my Lubitel every time I want a wide shot is unrealistic, so I need an FD mount (early or late, I don't care ring or button) wide angle lens.

There are quite a few, so I was wondering if some of the guys who shoot or have shot Canon and had first hand experience with some of these lenses may be so kind as to chime in and help me narrow down a choice.

I am looking in the 24 - 35mm range, most likely a 28mm. From what I hear it (28mm) is the widest I can go before really strong "anomalies" start to manifest themselelves (dist. etc.)

I am on a budget, so unless someone wants to give one to me, I am afraid any of the "L" lenses are out of the question

Thanks for your help,

Peter.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have a 24 mm (ring) lens and I like it. I used it on my A-1 and it worked fine.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The 28/2.0 is nice if you can afford it (around $150), and the 28/2.8 is really cheap and more than adequate.

The 35/2.0 is a really outstanding lens. I have the latest version. There is an early chrome nose version with a concave front element that is considered very desirable for B&W shooting (sometimes the radioactive front element can be discolored from age, so it's not usually recommended for color), but collectors have jacked up the price.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, I bid on a 28 f2... it went out of my range rather quickly. So, the average 28 f2.8 is a good lense? They seem cheap and plentiful - will I be seeing a lot of deformity near the edges? Maybe a 35mm would be better there? But I would like to go as wide as I can before distortion becomes an issue...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gnashings
    Yes, I bid on a 28 f2... it went out of my range rather quickly. So, the average 28 f2.8 is a good lense? They seem cheap and plentiful - will I be seeing a lot of deformity near the edges? Maybe a 35mm would be better there? But I would like to go as wide as I can before distortion becomes an issue...
    Ya know peter, I still have a 28 f/2.8 lens...if you want it.

Nikki
    Nikki

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." -- Chinese Proverb.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I love my 28mm F2.8, new FD. To me it's just perfect and a great picture taker. A 24mm is nice is you really need the wide view, but the 28 is a nice compromise between the 24 and 35mm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikki
    Ya know peter, I still have a 28 f/2.8 lens...if you want it.

Nikki
    You had a wide angle in that bunch of stuff?! I must have had a massive brain fart when reading the list (not uncommon....) Care to remind me of the particulars? Either here or PM or email - would be great! I think that lens might be the one that fits the budget. Sure, an f2 would be nice, but so would a 85 mm f1.2 "L" portrait lens. And of course that Porsche I always wanted...

Thanks Nikki!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Peter check your pm box.

nikki
    Nikki

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." -- Chinese Proverb.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Nikki!

Shooter
    Multi Format

W/A Lenses For Canon F.D Cameras

Quote Originally Posted by gnashings
    Hi All,

I need a wide angle lens, and I decided that going for my Lubitel every time I want a wide shot is unrealistic, so I need an FD mount (early or late, I don't care ring or button) wide angle lens.

There are quite a few, so I was wondering if some of the guys who shoot or have shot Canon and had first hand experience with some of these lenses may be so kind as to chime in and help me narrow down a choice.

I am looking in the 24 - 35mm range, most likely a 28mm. From what I hear it (28mm) is the widest I can go before really strong "anomalies" start to manifest themselelves (dist. etc.)

I am on a budget, so unless someone wants to give one to me, I am afraid any of the "L" lenses are out of the question

Thanks for your help,

Peter.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin