Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,693   Posts: 1,482,431   Online: 844

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Images
    Good Evening, Reinis,

Ditto to Earl's comments above about Olympus lenses. The sharpest lens I own is the 100 mm f2 Zuiko.

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by reinis
    Well, an Om -4T cold cost aout 200-300$? I mean, used on ebay. With (I guess 1,8) 50 mm lenses?
    Or what's the admissible cost for such an item?
    An OM-4t in good to excellent condition will likely run quite a bit more. If $200-300 is your range, go for an OM-4 if you can get one for that money, though you'll probably be more likely to get a very nice OM-2n for that price.

In either case, for a 50mm try to get either the 1.8 that is marked "made in Japan" on the front ring (NOT just "Japan" or "MC") or a 1.4 with a serial # > about 1,108,000. The 1.8 went through at least 5 versions, and the latter "miJ" incarnations are the best and are quite good. The 1.4 improved as well in later versions.

To give you hope, I once bought an OM-2 with 1.4 and pristine leather case for about $65 including shipping. I treated the body to a CLA (most cameras of this age at least need the light seals replaced.

Earl
    Honey, I promise no more searching eBay for cameras.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I second the OM-4t suggestion. Have had one since they were first offered. It's my back-up camera to my LF - and what I take when travelling via airlines. Zuiko lenses are THE best! (I have a 28mm, 35mm, 80mm and a 135mm).

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl Dunbar
    Also, be careful of the OM2s. It is a great camera, but there are no replacement circuits for it, and while there are many out there who love the 2s as their primary OM body, if it goes down, it's down. The OM1(n) is all mechanical, and can be repaired almost forever. The OM3(t) is mechanical in terms of actual shooting, so even without batteries you can shoot away. Check Zuiko.com for one of the best Olympus repair persons you can find; John has lots of good info there.

Earl

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl Dunbar
    An OM-4t in good to excellent condition will likely run quite a bit more. If $200-300 is your range, go for an OM-4 if you can get one for that money, though you'll probably be more likely to get a very nice OM-2n for that price.

In either case, for a 50mm try to get either the 1.8 that is marked "made in Japan" on the front ring (NOT just "Japan" or "MC") or a 1.4 with a serial # > about 1,108,000. The 1.8 went through at least 5 versions, and the latter "miJ" incarnations are the best and are quite good. The 1.4 improved as well in later versions.

To give you hope, I once bought an OM-2 with 1.4 and pristine leather case for about $65 including shipping. I treated the body to a CLA (most cameras of this age at least need the light seals replaced.

Earl
    Ok, I'll keep that in mind.
    Do I have to look for a "made in Japan" also on the 1.4 lenses? Or are those with just "Japan" also ok, and the serial > about 1,108,000 guarantees an OK quality?

Shooter
    35mm
    What's the use of automatic diaphragm? I mean the Zuiko "Auto" lenses?
    I know some of the russian M42 lenses had Auto diaphragm, which meant it shut only when you press the shooting button, all the other time it's open.
    It can't be the same here, can it?
    I mean - don't all the lenses have the Automatic Diaphragm Lever?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OM lenses don't have an auto diaphram lever as you can't switch to manual as you can with some Soviet cameras. The only real use for such a lever is to provide DOF preview and there is a separate button for that. The point of an auto diaphram is that you don't have to manually stop down to the taking aperture for metering. The camera meters with the lens wide open then stops down for you when you press the shutter. The result is a much brighter viewfinder image and faster reactions. Virtually all modern cameras are set up like this.

David.

Shooter
    35mm
    But then all the Zuiko lenses are like that, right?
    They're confusing me

Shooter
    Multi Format

Olympus rocks!

Glad to see so many other Olympus OM users here! I've used OM equipment since I got my first SLR back in '83 (an OM-2n). My current hiking/outdoor setup consists of 1 OM-2n(the same one), 1 OM-1n (Backup/Need the mirror lock up for the absolute sharpest images), T-32 Flash, Zuiko lenses - 24mm/f2.8; 50mm/f1.4; 50mm/f3.5 Macro; 35-70mm/f3.6; 200mm/f4; 300mm/f4.5; plus a Hoya 135mm/f2.8 (nice, very sharp lens); and a Sigma 500mm/f7.2 APO. All of this fits nicely into a Lowepro Rover AW II pack (with the 30mm and 500mm lenses in add-on lens pouches) and a Manfrotto 3001BPRO tripod with 3030 head straps to the pack to complete the picture. The top compartment of the pack has plenty of room left over for filters, film, spotmeter and lunch.

Be careful getting started with Olympus OM gear, the dangers of becoming a Zuikoholic can put you in the poorhouse rather quickly!

Shooter
    35mm
    The thing that terrifies me the most is that if something happens to the electronics, throw the thing away. Especially if You buy an usec camera

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin