Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,198   Posts: 1,531,460   Online: 825

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by reinis
    The thing that terrifies me the most is that if something happens to the electronics, throw the thing away. Especially if You buy an usec camera
    This isn't an issue with the OM-1's and 1n's, and there are enough spares and parts cameras out there to keep the OM-2's and 2n's running for the forseeable future. It's my understanding that the electronics in the 3's and 4's are much more delicate and hard to find replacements for, that's the reason I decided to stick with the 1n and 2n. I simply do my spotmetering, when required, with a Pentax Digital Spotmeter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    reinis: Breathe deeply, it's actually very simple. The OM-2S/Program is the most problematic when it comes to repairs, but it is not so fragile as to not be a great camera. The OM-3 and OM-4 bodies are going strong, but if you were to have a problem with them, repair would be more expensive. John H. at Camtech/Zuiko.com can do circuit-level repairs if necessary, though there might be a case in which he could do a repair economically. I.e., he might have to scavenge a circuit board from another OM-3/4 for parts, etc.

FWIW, if I could get a super deal on an OM-4t (or OM-3t), I'd go for it in a blink, assuming I could get it into the house without "you-know-who" seeing it. ;-)

Earl
    Honey, I promise no more searching eBay for cameras.

Shooter
    35mm
    So most of You would suggest the OM4T or if I can't afford, then the OM2s, right?

The dual mirror - aren't they noisy?
    And isn't something like this brutality? http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-100.html
    And does the viewfinder of the OM4 show both needed shutter speed and set shutter speed in aperature priority mode?
    I can't find anywhere any picture of what the viewfinder looks like and what does it show. So it should show the aperature as well, I guess.
    And what does this "highlight mode, shadow mode, " mean for the viewfinder?
    And what's the max exposure time? The OM2 had 60 seconds, the OM2n - 120. It should not be less tna these 60 seconds.
    Or am I asking too many questions here?
    Last edited by reinis; 05-02-2005 at 05:53 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    reinis: The batteries used in the OM-2, OM-2n, OM-2S/Program, OM-3 and OM-4 are 2x 357,(or its replacement 392/384,) LR44 and compatible. Use ONLY silver, not alkaline or lithium. The characteristic power curve of the 357/392/384 type batteries is to maintain a stable 1.5v until the end of their life. (see http://zuiko.com/PAGE15.HTML) These batteries can be had very cheaply through mailorder and will last as long as 6 months -year depending on usage. I think the battery drain problem is WAY over-hyped.

Also note that the spot metering on the OM-2s and Spot/Program is only in manual mode.

BTW, I saw some OM-4s on eBay that might go within your price range, so don't give up hope. And shop other sources, too. KEH sometimes has good deals on an OM-4, and their ratings are very conservative from what I've gathered.

Enjoy!

Earl

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Also, pay no attention to Rick Oleson's modification. "Monstrosity" is what I would call his chop job (with all due respect to Rick!) ... a sacrilege to the OM and all real Zuikoholics! :-)

Earl
    Honey, I promise no more searching eBay for cameras.

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, I'm keeping an EYE on those OM4 on the ebay as well.
    Now I'm confused. I thought the Om 3T was something more like the Om1 , but I read it also has got a Multi-Spot meter and other things like 4T.
    But guess the 3T is a very rare item.
    Last edited by reinis; 05-02-2005 at 07:01 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Interesting mod.
    It's very similar (except for the mounting) to several "cold weather" battery boxes. With long leads it would be good for that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I too have never had any trouble using alkaline batteries with OMs in the cold of with old batteries. The OM viewfinders don't display the set aperture, but I have never found it a problem to remember it. In auto OM4s show the shutter speed set, in manual they show a horizontal electronic version of a match needle meter across the bottom in 1/3 stop increments. The reading will change to reflect the highlight/shadow buttons and the display shows which, if either, is in use. It also puts little dots above the line to show spot readings, along with an average value for multiple spot readings. It also has a +/- sign for the meter bias and a flash status lamp for OM T series dedicated guns. There is a button to illuminate the display in dark conditions. I think the max auto shutter speed is still 120 secs, + B. The 3 is a manual only version of the 4 and has all the added bells and whistles.

David.

Shooter
    35mm
    Ok, thanks, well, if the lens has the DOF preview, the aperature isn't really needed in the viewfinder.

Reinis

Shooter
    35mm
    One more question - the difference between the OM4 and OM4Ti was only the Ti body and electronics, that consume less energy, right?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin