Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,752   Posts: 1,515,887   Online: 1002

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

The Olympus OM's

Can anyone tell if there's diference between OM2 and OM2n? And what is it?

Can't find right now on the net.
    Thanks!
    Oh, got it, thanks, never mind!
    The "n" adds nothing serious - just some indicators

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Check out:

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography.../om2/index.htm

You'll find more information there on the 2 and 2n than you'd ever think you'd need. One of the differences between the 2 and 2n is that the 2 will meter a scene up to 60 seconds whereas the 2n will go to 120 seconds. The pages that start at the link above list all of the differences, large and small.

Be well.
    Dave
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks!
    I had already seen that page, just read too fast and not accurately enough did not notice.
    Now I consider getting an OM, just - the OM4 is somewhat too expensive, but the OM2 and OM2n and OM2s still lack DOF preview.
    Still, the OM2s is an interesting choice in my opinion

Shooter
    Multi Format
    All OMs have DOF preview. The button to actuate is on the lens mount, lower right quadrant as you are holding the camera to shoot.

Just about everything you need to know about OMs is in the OM eSIF, at http://olympus.dementia.org/eSIF/

If I were to choose between an OM2(n) and OM4, I would get the OM4(T). The spot metering is worth the price of admission, and the brighter screens are a bonus.

If anyone can locate a 35UC for me ...

Earl
    __________________________________________________ ____________________
    OM1, OM1n, OM2, OM2n, lenses, bellows, Varimagnifinder, (2x) 35SP, (2a) XA, 35RC, etc. I'm a sick person.
    Honey, I promise no more searching eBay for cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Also, be careful of the OM2s. It is a great camera, but there are no replacement circuits for it, and while there are many out there who love the 2s as their primary OM body, if it goes down, it's down. The OM1(n) is all mechanical, and can be repaired almost forever. The OM3(t) is mechanical in terms of actual shooting, so even without batteries you can shoot away. Check Zuiko.com for one of the best Olympus repair persons you can find; John has lots of good info there.

Earl
    __________________________________________________ ____________________
    OM1, OM1n, OM2, OM2n, lenses, bellows, Varimagnifinder, (2x) 35SP, (2a) XA, 35RC, etc. I'm a sick person.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The OM2n allows TTL flash metering using the OM dedicated flashes, the OM2 does not. I'd call that something serious and it is well worth holding out for the n version. There is also an OM2 spot/program which, as the name suggests has a spotmeter and program auto exposure mode (the 2 and 2n have appature priority auto (+ manual) only). Unlike the other two, which have very long battery lives, the spot/program is very battery hungry (as is the OM-4, but not the OM4Ti), although the spot function is useful enough that you might feel the extra battery costs worthwhile.

As Earl says, none of the OMs lack a DOF preview, which is operated by a small push button on the lenses.

It might be true that the OM-2 electronics are no longer repairable, but I have two, one of which I have had since 1979 and I have found them completely reliable in very heavy and often rough use.

I also have 2 OM4 bodies (one Ti the other not). IMHO they are worth every penny of the extra cost. Their exposure system in particular is still unsurpassed. Their only small weakness, is that the film wind can be a little stiff if the film is not loaded exactly right, so that they can be a little temperamental with power winders.

David.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    David: When I spoke of the lack of circuit boards, I was referring to the OM-2S/Program, not the OM-2(n). I wasn't very clear.

Also, the battery consumption of the OM-4 (non-T/Ti) is sometimes not a problem. Some of them had newer circuits, and the batteries are so cheap that even with a battery drain problem, I wouldn't pass up a well-priced OM-4.

I agree on the reliability of the OM-2 models (and the OM-1 models) ... I've mistreated them and even when they looked a wreck they kept functioning.

Oh, and reinis, the Zuiko lenses are quite good, some of them exceptional. The 100mm/f2.8 is superb for portraits and isolated subjects. The 21mm/f2 is as good as any 21 of its era, and still competitive with many 21s of newer manufacture. Another stellar performer is the 50mm/f3.5 macro. I don't have the latter, but am thinking about it, pending my ability to persuade the CDFO that I really need the new Zeiss Ikon Rangefinder. ;-)

Earl

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, an Om -4T cold cost aout 200-300$? I mean, used on ebay. With (I guess 1,8) 50 mm lenses?
    Or what's the admissible cost for such an item?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Woolliscroft
    The OM2n allows TTL flash metering using the OM dedicated flashes, the OM2 does not. I'd call that something serious and it is well worth holding out for the n version.
    David.
    My OM2 operates quite nicely with an Auto310 flash in TTL mode. Like others have mentioned, the OM2s has some improved circuitry but for flash unit coupling, other than an extra LED for flash readiness in the viewfinder, the older Auto310 does work TTL.

Shooter
    35mm
    Actually it's hard to choose if You haven't looked through the viewfinder and held the body in your hand. And maybe shot some pictures.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin