Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,117   Online: 1048

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I think David said it right at the start.
    Keep the big Nikon for when you need that press pass. Nothing like a big full dress SLR, complete with massive f2.8 zoom, lens hood and big flash gun for getting waived through. Also SLR's with motor winds are great for fast moving action. Also people react to camera, sometimes a little rangefinder gives the the reaction you want (usually none) other times it's that big SLR.

Horses for courses, plus film camera prices are plumeting (in the UK anyway) not a good time to sell.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Tough call. I have read everybody else's posting and pretty much agree with all of them - this, despite them representing both sides of the issue.

I've bought and sold, lost or broken more cameras than I care to remember...

alas, I can offer no advice - only sympathy/empathy.

OTOH....you might try this: Sell the gear to a trusted friend, cheap. Your friend will invariably let you borrow the camera anytime you need / want to. You get the cash, and still get to use it once in a while.....

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    another idea....

could you lease it out? Your investment generates some income, gets used and you still maintain ownership.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Many thanks for your thoughts and suggestions everyone. It's been an enlightening thread which has given me a lot more data to work with. My decision is that I will keep it for another few months and see if I have a need of it over the rest of this year. If not for actual use it does make a great "press pass" and I could always have it loaded with colour film just in case

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Colour film! What's that?
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller
    Colour film! What's that?
    It's that stuff that newspapers scan and then turn to black and white for printing in the Daily Wag

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TPPhotog
    It's that stuff that newspapers scan and then turn to black and white for printing in the Daily Wag
    Or at least that's how it used to be. Now almost all of 'em have color. Another sign of "progress". Harumph!
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongo
    Or at least that's how it used to be. Now almost all of 'em have color. Another sign of "progress". Harumph!
    .... and even worse no film

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I stopped reading the papers when the Times stopped being impartial, and sold out to popularisim.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller
    I stopped reading the papers when the Times stopped being impartial, and sold out to popularisim.
    With you on the Times. I went with the Independant for a while when the were committed to pictures as well as being reasonably impartial, but these days several issues have been published without even a front page picture. There seems to be no impartial publications left in the news industry. We live in sad times were everywhere is now propoganda for one side or the other

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin