Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,937   Posts: 1,585,636   Online: 779

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sorry I missed the start of this thread! My opinion (free and worth every penny!) - Keep the F100.

Put it carefully in a cupboard for a while and then come back to it at a future date. You'll find yourself noticing afresh all the convenient little touches which you're currently taking for granted. You'll find it's familiar heft welcoming and comforting. You'll find yourself making a different style of photograph than is your usual preserve.

And, like an old, warm winter jacket that has been sitting on a hook all summer, you'll feel like you've just met an old friend once more.

If you sell it, at some future date, I guarantee you'll miss it!

All the best,

Frank

PS - I'd also argue that it is a classic, just like pretty much every other pro-spec Nikon ever made!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you Frank I completely agree with you

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What manual control is your F100 lacking that an older camera has. I use both a modern EOS system as well as an OM-1 and K1000. I chose which one to use based on the glass I have for them. My Elan gives me no less conrol over operation than any other camera out there. Just because it has an auto mode doesn't mean you have to use it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Daniel - For my way of working the manual mode isn't user friendly, also manual focus doesn't have a split screen which is difficult with older eyes like mine. Add to that I would be running around with a huge brick of a computer when I prefer to play with a pocket sized abacus. Don't get me wrong the F100 is a wonderful tool, but not suited to my needs or technique as I do what I like to do. So for now it is tucked up in all it's original packaging at the back of a cupboard hibernating.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi Tony,

One further thought; if its hibernation turns out to be a long one, every few months sit it on a window lens either without a lens on (but beware dust on the mirror) or with a fast, wide-open lens on, no UV filter and no lens cap.

I've heard (and I'm quite prepared to be shot down in flames on this one!) that exposure to UV light (i.e. sunlight) kills the fungus that attacks camera mirrors. Whilst it won't reverse any damage that has already taken place it will slow up further damage.

Best regards,

Frank

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good point Frank I've heard of that one but I would have forgotten to do it. Thank you I want it to come out of hibernation as hungry as a grizzly

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller
    I stopped reading the papers when the Times stopped being impartial, and sold out to popularisim.
    Gosh! 1886??? You're (even) older than you look Dave...

Bob.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've been seeing alot of F100 sales over in Pnet with prices all over the place. For the way there being dumped right now, I'd say keep the camera and force yourself to use it once a month for a roll or two. You might consider taking off a battery pack if if there is one, and just sticking a small prime on it to give you a two camera outfit. I bought 2 N80s so I could have two different prime lenses with two films, 1 for color and 1 for b&w. The bodies are so light it's ridiculous and I only need a small waistbag for one if it's sunny.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Wayne, Many good points there. The F80s were my first venture into Nikon world after moving from Pentax and I agree a very nice camera. For usability I already have other camera's which are smaller and lighter to carry. They also give me the friendly manual control that I love. The more I think on this one the more the F100 sounds to me like a medallion, but I'll see how I feel as time goes on.

Bob, Dave doesn't look a day over ..... no don't go there LOL

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OK indecision over I've decided I'm going to sell and move into RFs. Strange I even have my wifes backing but she never did like black cameras. Shhhh don't mention it's possible to get black RFs

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin