Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,695   Online: 871

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Thinking out aloud ..... thoughts welcome

[color=black][font=Verdana]Please excuse me for thinking out aloud and please feel free to offer your thoughts.

When I first came to APUG I was a dedicated SLR shooter, after eventually working my way up to a Nikon F100.

Since being here I seem to have gathered a collection of "classic" cameras and got the taste for becoming increasingly in control of what and how I shoot. I've found that a little Centon K100 with an old Pentax lens is giving me all I want from an SLR and it's fully manual. The Pentax glass gives me sharp contrasty images which meet my tastes.

I've also fallen in love with the Canonet RF I picked up the other week. I find not only do I again have full manual control over my pictures, but I can handhold down to 1/15th sec, move around the streets without people asking me if I'm from the paper and is there anything exciting going on. In fact I've only been approached once and that was by a guy who recognised my new beastie as a Canonet.

So now to the problem, I have a near (if not completely) mint Nikon F100 sitting in the cupboard not being used. I know it's an amazing camera and has opened doors in the past as the police see it and wave me through at some events. It's sitting there if I feel I need a real workhorse, but that's the real problem. It's sitting there doing nothing on the off chance I might find a use for it.

So do I keep it or is it time to sell it to a new home where it will be lovingly exercised?

Ho hum ..... why can't life be simple [/font][/color]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If it gets you into interesting venues, then wear it around your neck as your "press pass" and shoot with the Canonet in your pocket. Weegee said to carry a big camera like a Speed Graphic, and the police will usually let you in, but don't wear your press pass in your hatband--that's just in the movies.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's an interesting thought David, shame about the pass in the hat though as I usually wear a Fedora.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I hope you keep the Nikon. You know how life is, as soon as you part with it a situation will arise that will have you wishing to still had it. You have a lifetime of photography ahead of you and who knows where it will take you.

Chuckle. I could just be jealous as I use two old Ricoh's. I like manual cameras because they make me stop and think and heaven knows I need that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Carol having to stop and think has always been my weakness. It's probably the biggest thing I'll still have to remember in the future

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I guess I'd look at it in a "balance sheet" sort of way :::

Does it take up space that you "need"? Will it sell for an decent amount of money? Do you "need" the money? Does it have sentimental value? Might you have a "use" for it in the future?

If the possibility of "use" and the "sentimental value" are worth more than the "space" and the "cash", then you keep it.

Otherwise......."for sale"

just my $0.02

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's some of the things that makes it harder John, lets see:

[color=dimgray]Does it take up space that you "need"?[/color] Nope
    [color=dimgray]Will it sell for an decent amount of money?[/color] I'd take a loss but what I got could buy other photography gear.
    [color=dimgray]Do you "need" the money?[/color] Nope don't really need it but see last answer.
    [color=dimgray]Does it have sentimental value?[/color] Narrr it's not a classic but it is pretty.
    [color=dimgray]Might you have a "use" for it in the future?[/color] That's the tricky one, will it rain tomorrow?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think you should go back to your question and start afresh. Second sentence – replace “up” with “down” and rethink the problem.
    Joking aside two things have rekindled my photographic interest in the last year. The first was ditching digital printing, and opening my darkroom (does that count as two?) The second was changing from a 35mm EOS system to a manual TLR – a Mamiya 330s. I’m starting to create again: instead of just snap. Maybe you have started on the same journey?
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Shortly before I found APUG, I had added a medium format rangefinder to my small collection of cameras. I had been using an F100, which as you say, is a good workhorse. I found the Mamiya so much easier to use, just the F-stop and shutter speed to set... not hundreds of modes in the LCD window. It was freeing in a way, and was a real shot in the arm creatively speaking. I liked the rangefinder so much, that I found an old Leica... really love that! The F100 is used much less.

That said, it always rains, and I rarely give up camera gear. Plus, I think it's way easier to use with flash, if I ever need to, than the other two cameras. And if speed is of the essence... well 'nough said.

I'd hold onto it.

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Ahhh This is so hard - I sympathise sooo much. I wish I lived in a 10,000 ft' house instead of 1000 ft' and then I'd never have to sell anything either. I've sold or given away almost 1/2 my antique radio collection recently anticipating a move in a few years . The plus side is that I've changed the nature of the collection now by stripping out the lesser quality or lesser "sentimentally" valued units and as a result the rest now seem much more dear.

Anyway, I digress (as always )

Based on a couple of your answers : don't need the money, has no sentimental value and don't need the space so you could buy other photo gear, here's my advice :

Sell it and buy something else that will light your fire for while. When you get tired of that one - sell it also and go on to something else. The up side to doing this is that it's always "fresh" and you're always learning about something new.

just more of my $0.02 worth of buttinski

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin