Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,741   Posts: 1,515,569   Online: 924

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ara,
    with the back of the camera open, advance the camera, the shutter should travel(upwards, I think) & lock in position. If it travels downward when you release the film advance lever there's a problem with the shutter latch. If you can get someone to actually lubricate the thing it'll probably cost $75+
    If the shutter has failed mechanically, it could run as high as $175-200.
    The problem with lubing the device is access, since a rather complete disassembly is required.
    Check with Carol Flutot for repair she's got some sterling recs from other folks here on APUG.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy
    Ara,
    with the back of the camera open, advance the camera, the shutter should travel(upwards, I think) & lock in position. If it travels downward when you release the film advance lever there's a problem with the shutter latch. If you can get someone to actually lubricate the thing it'll probably cost $75+
    If the shutter has failed mechanically, it could run as high as $175-200.
    The problem with lubing the device is access, since a rather complete disassembly is required.
    Check with Carol Flutot for repair she's got some sterling recs from other folks here on APUG.
    Shaggy,
    That's part of the problem. I can't advance the camera. It's stuck. I suggested to her that I take it to a repair shop just to be looked over and get an estimate, but she wants to see if that dude will give her money back. I think it's toast if you ask me. It will probably cost more than the price of the camera to repair. I'm sure it will make a nice paperweight on my desk.
    Ara
    Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you need another argument to talk her into CLA'ing that FM: About every FM that you buy for the price you quoted will need an overhaul. You have to calculate this into the price for the camera. Therefore, getting back the money won't help her out as the next camera will most probably have some other sort of problem as well. Only a CLA'd camera of that age will surely work without trouble.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ara -

take the camera to midstate camera repair on warwick ave. they will give you a free diagnosis, and if you decide to have it worked on, they are very good. they have worked on my large format shutters ( prontar press shutters) as well as my pentax 35mm bodies & lenses. i would take it to them directly and talk to them ( mark, keith or david ) ... if you bring it to one of the local shops, they will send it to midstate and charge you a commission for doing so.

they also have used nikon bodies &C that are 90 day warrantee'd, so you might get lucky and if it costs too much to repair, you can pick another one up from them, and if anything goes wrong, they are just down the street

http://www.midstatecamerarepair.com/

good luck!

john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skahde
    If you need another argument to talk her into CLA'ing that FM: About every FM that you buy for the price you quoted will need an overhaul. You have to calculate this into the price for the camera. Therefore, getting back the money won't help her out as the next camera will most probably have some other sort of problem as well. Only a CLA'd camera of that age will surely work without trouble.
    skahde,
    You're absolutely right. My friend gave me the same lecture last night . And then I transfered the lecture to the girlfriend. She agreed. The good thing is that a camera like that will last forever if you take care of it and keep CLAing it.

John,
    That was exactly what I was going to do, but I'm glad you mentioned that they won't charge anything for the examination. I've been meaning to take my F3 there ever since you told me about Midstate a few months ago, but I've been hesitant because the building looks like it's ready to fall apart (haha). The FM would be a good guinea pig to test out their service, etc.

Thanks for all the great advice!
    Ara
    Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Shooter
    35mm
    The FM, is a great little camera, and well worth having CLA'd.

Kiron Kid

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin