Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,738   Online: 989

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Smallest modern quality film cameras

Looking for a film camera for my wife which is purse'able, can be P&S'd, but has a good fast lens (no zoom) so that the flash is rarely needed for photos. Looking at Leica Minilux, Fuji Natura S, any other ideas?

Daniel.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Add the Ricoh GR1 to your list. Excellent 28/2.8 lens, very small and an includes exposure compensation dial and manual aperture control.

Unfortunately, you may have to buy secondhand, but as this is a well made camera, I think it would be OK to do so.
    Heat or light; it depends on your sensitivity.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Pentax *ist is supposed to be the smallest SLR. I think the thing is almost too tiny to use. It'll take almost any K mount lens you want. Maybe stick the 43mm LTD lens on it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Olympus mju II. Very good 2,8/35mm lens. Available in black and champagne, as small as they get, water resistant, spot-metering + ae lock + focus lock, cheap as dirt (don't mention that last point in front of your wife). ISO setting is only by DX, though, IIRC.

Stefan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I also have a mju II. All that Stefan says is true. Excellent 35mm ultra-compact P&S.

The only point I'd raise is that there is no manual control over aperture / shutter-speed, not even a landscape/portrait/sports mode selection. Other than that, it's very difficult to beat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another vote for the Stylus Epic (mju II). The Yashica T4 should also be noted as a great little number.I picked one up last week,2nd hand,and just shot/developed my first roll of B+W film. I like what I see.
    Mike

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I got a T4super (T5 in Europe) for my wife as well, and it's a nice little camera, but they don't make them anymore with the Zeiss T* 35/3.5 Tessar. If you can find one used, it's a good choice. B&H bought out the last stock, so they may have some left, but I doubt it. Also has the peculiar feature of a built-in angle finder for over the head, waist-level, and stealth shooting. One downside (and this may be common to many of these P&S cameras)--The DX coding only reads nice round values and defaults to ISO 100 if you are shooting something like Portra 160NC (a little overexposure being not necessarily a bad thing with color neg) or Ektachrome 320T (a lot of overexposure being definitely a bad thing with color slide).
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

T4 kudos

Another peg for the T4. All of what has been said about the DX is true, but seldom a problem in the real world of P&S users. I bought one for my son on his graduation from high school since he would be traveling a lot and the size of a full SLR would make him leave it behind more often than he would a camera thatvery easily fit in a shirt pocket. He traveled Europe, dropped the darn thing while climbing, got it wet in the rain, kept it in the bottom of a dirty backpack while camping for weeks at a time - and came home with stunning negatives.

Ebay is a good source for a T4 Super. They do come up in the $100 range. Worth twice that IMHO.
    Whitey

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Yashica T4 Zoom Date Kit

is listed in B and H catalog, page 89---arrived yesterday---169.95... Zeiss lens tessar t*28 - 70 , self timer, af 1.6' to infinity, auto flash, fill flash, flash off, night portrait, red eye reduction, quartz date imprint, 4.4 x 2.5 x 1.6" 6.9 oz passive multi beam 5 point auto focus or spot auto focus..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This might not meet the "modern" criteria but I've picked up a Minolta Hi-matic 7SII for a daily carry around camera. 40mm f/1.7 lens that is extremely sharp and an automatic mode if needed. Very small by my standards but I am used to carry around a camera bag daily so this might taint my judgement. It is the most highly regarded Minolta specific rangefinder. Meter is built into the lens so that it automatically compensates for filters. It was built to use a mercury battery but if shooting film you should have enough exposure latitude to compensate.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin