Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,934   Posts: 1,585,600   Online: 689

Thread: Back to School.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Back to School.

My camera collection includes many with no metering system.Not really a problem if I use the sunny 16 rule, but I would really like to "dial in" my exposures.Get them bang on.
    I have 3 hand held incident light meters and my questions are as follows: .How can I tell if the meters are accurate?Should I use my FM2 or N60 as a bench mark? Can anyone suggest a simple test so I can pick one meter and shelve the rest?
    Thanks Much,
    Mike (dazed and confused)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd try using your N60 in average mode to compare with the handhelds.
    In order to minimize errors try pointing at thing like walls that are not too far so that the coverage area is about the same.
    Mama took my APX away.....

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Simplest way to check the accuracy of an incident meter: go outside in sunny conditions, point the meter at the southern horizon, between 11:00 AM and 3:00 PM (daylight time), and if it doesn't read pretty close to f/16 and 1/ISO, something is wrong.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Having used an N60, I'd try with something you know has worked in the past. I used my work's N60 today and compared it to my handheld meter (a Sekonic of some variety) and it was a good 2 stops different. I know the meter has worked fine for me in the past, so I'll trust it over the N60.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin