Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,296   Posts: 1,535,711   Online: 908

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by gnashings
    One Nikon FG, with a 50mm 1.8 lens

Price: $5 Canadian... (so, about 34 cents US just kidding...)
    You paid 5 whole Canadian dollars? Gee, my FG was FREE! (Co-worker picked it out of the trash for me when her neighbor was throwing it away. It was "broken", i.e. it needed a battery!)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stark raving
    You paid 5 whole Canadian dollars? Gee, my FG was FREE! (Co-worker picked it out of the trash for me when her neighbor was throwing it away. It was "broken", i.e. it needed a battery!)
    Mine was broken too! Same way!
    Now I feel ripped off, hehehehe

I gotta say though, just hefting the Canon lens and the Nikon lens, the Canon feels a lot more substantial and solid. We'll see how the pics turn out.

Oh yeah, I got a FLASH, too, so there...!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gnashings
    One Nikon FG, with a 50mm 1.8 lens (something called series E I think -don't know, me Canon guy, ugh...)

Price: $5 Canadian... (so, about 34 cents US just kidding...)
    That's a great deal. I started out in photography with that exact combo. About half or more of the photos on my website were made with the FG and either the 50mm Series E lens or the 75-150 Series E lens. It's a good, light camera. The only big downside for me is the small, dark viewfinder and the lack of depth of field preview.

The series E lenses are excellent optically. The 75-150 is one of the sleepers in the Nikon line, in my opinion. It's fixed aperture, light weight, and very sharp. I love it and still use it!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The E-lenses had the exact same formula and glass as the professional lenses. 50 mm lenses were among the best Nikon ever made. That wasn't difficult because the 50 mm design was the standard lens for everyone. So, research and practical experience had eliminated all flaws years ago. And because of the large numbers sold, Nikon could produce them efficiently and cheaply.

But the E-series had much cheaper barrels and mechanics than the professional ones. So they are more vulnerable. Are you a war photographer?
    Wilbert
    http://www.photovergne.com
    Cours photo en Auvergne

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by argentic
    The E-lenses had the exact same formula and glass as the professional lenses. 50 mm lenses were among the best Nikon ever made. That wasn't difficult because the 50 mm design was the standard lens for everyone. So, research and practical experience had eliminated all flaws years ago. And because of the large numbers sold, Nikon could produce them efficiently and cheaply.

But the E-series had much cheaper barrels and mechanics than the professional ones. So they are more vulnerable. Are you a war photographer?
    The Nikon E 75-150, was made by Kiron, as were many of the E series Nikons. Very good optically. Just not as robust as their upper end line of lenses. It's almost identical to the Kiron 70-150. The Kiron is built more along the lines of the better Nikon's. Kiron was founded by a few former top Nikon lens designers.

Kiron Kid
    Last edited by Kiron Kid; 12-13-2007 at 11:49 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am not a war photographer, and hopefully won't be any time soon

Glad to hear I rescued a good little camera!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Gee, I want a FG and the one I was bidding on on ebay just went for $113 US

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The steamer trunk was from the Titanic !!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Estate auction sales in small towns are another thing. My mate encouraged me to go with her to one in particular in rural Minnesota. Stupid me, I did not go for the 8x10 enlarger with lenses which went for $65. I did get two gross of #2 flasbulbs for $5.

What knocked me on my butt was some scenic (hills, trees) photographs that went for over $100 each. They were clearly LF and not remarkable in any photographic sense at all. I learned later when I met the buyer that they were of part of California (forgot which part) which is now 100% covered in humanity. Who bid on them? A couple of sleepers - low-profile Long Island and NYC dealers in the audience. They really know how to find obscure auctions.
    Last edited by jjstafford; 08-02-2005 at 09:20 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, it has been a bit since I posted this thread - was actually surprised to see it pop back up - but I'll take the opportunity for an update.
    My little FG has been a great addition to my gear. I shoot it quite a bit, and even added two extremely cheap lenses - a Makinon 24mm f2.8 and a Soligor 80-200 f4.5 zoom (with "macro" focus!). I bought the two lenses for $25 for the pair, and well... the Soligor seems to be pretty darn sharp, while the Maknonis a typical cheap WA - lotsof distortion, and plummetting quality if not stopped down. The E-series 50mm is a little gem - a little flimsy feeling, but I would say its probably sharper than my 50mm Canon 1.8 lens - but that may just be a function of me managing some better shots by total chance - I doubt its anything else, seeing how hte 50mm's are pretty hard to screw up! In addition, my wife loves it - its really comfy for her smaller hands. So now the tally is $30 for the FG, matching Nikon flash, 50mm, 24mm, 80-200mm lenses.
    Having said that, would I spend actual "market value" money on that camera? Probably not - for one, its a different system than the one I have already invested in (not a matter of brand loyalty, just the monetary investment in a choice I made), for two - I have seen Canon A1 bodies go for about the same money on eBay if you look hard enough, an it is a more capable camera. Even if you compare it to an AE1, they seem to be twice as much on average - and are not twice the camera, more accurately they are basically on par - the Canon having DOF preview and a controlled shutter speed down to 2 seconds vs the fg's one. But the way I came by this camera, I am quite happy with it - it is what it is and I like it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin