Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,160   Online: 823

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Went to move the car this morning and....

Got up early to move the car this morning (one driveway, many users...) and was shocked to see our quiet little street turned into a beehive of activity. I realized - this is the world before eBay, the thing they call "yard sales"...

I had to look.

End result:

One steamer trunk (Cunard stickers and original Atlantic Crossing labels and all) full of turn ofthe century/ early 1900's books - including a Virignia Woolf book with original newspaper clippings of her death, and...

One Nikon FG, with a 50mm 1.8 lens (something called series E I think -don't know, me Canon guy, ugh...) with a speedlight SB18. Covered in dust, the battery dead on both flash and camera... it took me 5 minutes to clean it and start taking pictures (after putting the batteries in the wrong way and thinking, oh well, I guess it was worht a try...then realizing I am a sleep-deprived idiot).

Price: $5 Canadian... (so, about 34 cents US just kidding...)

I guess this is a pretty pointless thread, I just had to share the joy - its a cute little camera that seems to work alright, have a good number of features and the previous owner looked at it with such disdain as he quoted me the price that I felt like I was rescueing it... Oh well, his loss, my gain...

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Yup !!!

Aren't yard/garage sales wonderfull places of discovery? About 20+ years ago, my sweetheart (same one I have now) and I were out doing the yard sales circuit and I found a Yashica J5 with a 50mm lens and a 70-200 + macro lens, in a suitcase, with a flash, flash shoe, cable etc. for $15.00cdn - so about $1.02 US (also kidding ).
    Now if only I could find a stack of 8x10 film holders at a yard sale.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here, here!

One man's junk...trash to treasure and all that stuff! I love them.

Many will turn their nose up at them, but my reply is, "Suit yourself! More bargains for the rest of us..."

Good grabs!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Its a weird relationship - all these things were once thoughtfully bought for a fair chunk of cash... And here they are, a few years go by and they have no value. Like you said, one man's junk...
    The FG looks like a neat little camera - I hear a lot of bad things about them from die hard Nikon guys... but it seems like a good little camera - for what it is. And I'm a Canon user, frankly I like my AE-1 better (its basically the Canon equivalent, isn't it?), but I can see a good case being made for the FG, especially with all the good glass availble for it.
    On the one hand you have a little more range of shutter speeds witht he AE-1 (up to 2secs vs 1 in the FG) and depth of field/stopped down button, where the FG has adjustible exposure compensation, vertical travel shutter, higher max flash sync (well, in the flash dept in it just leaves the canon in the dust - but that seems to be something that Canon always lost out on, even on the F cameras), the full auto mode, and of course, the audio alarm feature! You gotta love the audio alarm!
    So I guess its a matter of what you need more. The FG is a fair bit smaller, so I guess its handier, it has aperture priority automation vs shutter priority on the AE1 - again, a matter of what you need more for your particular shooting needs (I don't really use either much, so its a bit academic to me)...
    Also, the mirror slap is just ridiculous on the Nikon.
    I can certainly see why the two camps have been debating so much over the years - both excellent products in their time, each showing a different approach. Now I have both, so I guess yey me! (and the price was right )

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The Nikon GF is a wonderfull, light, amateur Nikon. And it accepts ... Nikon lenses! So it turns out to be a perfect backup camera alongside my Nikon F4, while shooting weddings. And it even works without batteries ! Simply dial in the M90 speed (Manual 1/90th second), ajust the aperture accordingly, and fire away.
    Wilbert
    http://www.photovergne.com
    Cours photo en Auvergne

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by argentic
    The Nikon GF is a wonderfull, light, amateur Nikon. And it accepts ... Nikon lenses! So it turns out to be a perfect backup camera alongside my Nikon F4, while shooting weddings. And it even works without batteries ! Simply dial in the M90 speed (Manual 1/90th second), ajust the aperture accordingly, and fire away.
    Yeah, I forgot to add, though I am sure everyone knows... the AE1 is D E A D w/o batteries! BIG oversight, in my humble opinion, on behalf of Canon...

So far my only Nikon lens is the 50 mm E-series 1.8 - I have yet to compare the results with the Canon glass, but the Nikon guys themselves have put a lot of doubts in my head about these "E" lenses. Are they really that bad?

And I assume GF is a typo - right?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gnashings
    So far my only Nikon lens is the 50 mm E-series 1.8 - I have yet to compare the results with the Canon glass, but the Nikon guys themselves have put a lot of doubts in my head about these "E" lenses. Are they really that bad?
    The E series was the bargain series of Nikkor lenses. Essentially the glass wasn't all that bad, but the construction of the lenses left a lot to be desired. For amature use just fine, but a pro would wear them out in a month.

Then there was the time I found a Leica M4P with 50mm Summie at a garage sale and scooped it for $7.50CAD. Oh ya that was a dream .....
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "The E series was the bargain series of Nikkor lenses. Essentially the glass wasn't all that bad, but the construction of the lenses left a lot to be desired. For amature use just fine, but a pro would wear them out in a month."

They weren't built as well as the Nikkors of the day but don't sell them short. The current Canon EF standard line of lenses are no better built than the Nikon E-series were and they don't get worn out too often by pros (I use Canon EOS SLRs these days). I had a couple of Nikon E lenses when I used Nikon cameras and they held up well to professional use.

Great bargain!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The series E were really good lenses, but delicate.
    I used to see many of them that were jammed by being bumped on the front & the helical would jam from the impact.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So the consensus is that they are really not bad optically - just a bt delicate.
    I have an almost direct equivalent from Canon, a 50mm f1.8 S.C. (NOT the SSC lens - one step down). I wonder how the two will compare. So far, I have noticed one thing:
    In Nikonia, things are not like here... they get bigger from right to left, they unscrew clockwise and tighten counter-clockwise...and they focus the other way...
    And I have seen and touched new Canon lenses... and even used them... I think the FD lenses were bank-vaults compared to the majority of the new EF's...I wonder when Canon decided..hmm, our lenses should be made out of bubble gum... I like my old FD's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin