Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,512   Online: 1015

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The battery for the original SP/500/1000 was the RM400 a 1.35V mercury cell. Current mfrs. produce 1.5V cells.
    Considering age of the camera & availability of the batt. I think you would be better off with a small hand held meter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Shaggy, one of the nice things about Spotmatics is that the meter uses a bridge circuit. Voltage doesn't matter very much. That's a weak point of most of the Spotmatics contemporaries, which relied on the battery giving the right voltage.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ah, Cao, in 1970 the Spotmatic F didn't exist.

In its day, the Spotmatic was among the smallest and lightest of full frame 35 mm SLRs, both good attributes to have.

About having a "Spotmatic/RB67 shaped brain," well, our preferences do tend to conform to the tools we use. That's why its hard to get good advice on "the next camera for ME;" everyone recommends what he uses and knows best without regard for the quirks etc. of the person asking for advice.

Bounce around in ditty bags? Not likely, I was at Materiel Command HQ. Everyone there and their cameras were pretty pampered.

Cheers,

Dan

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a 1967 Spottie. In the almost 25 years I've had it, it's never been serviced, though it has, in the last few weeks, come down with what appears to be a bad metering cell (a CdS cell close to 40 years old failed -- must be a bad design, right?). The shutter, mirror, etc. still work perfectly, though my two Ricoh Singlex II bodies (almost ten years newer, with metal shutters) are both in a failed state with different failures. I've never found stop-down metering a big deal -- never used a camera with TTL that didn't require stop-down, so know no other way (and honestly, I don't even meter all the time, I often just set the exposure by Sunny 16 so I don't have to mess with metering). About the only thing I wish for on my Spottie is a hot shoe.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can buy an adaptor for the Spotmatic that will convert a current battery to the same voltage as the mercury 625. Although most 42mm lens are interchangable you do need to be careful. Late model Fuji Yashica's 42mms (designed for AX body) do not mount well and will not couple with standard 42mm bodies. On the rear of the standard 42mm lens is a pin that controls the aperture to close it down when metering or firing the shutter. When looking for bellows or extension tubes look for the pin. The Spotmatic F meters at full aperture, as does the ES. Fs and ES that have motor drive written on the base plate will take a motor drive. GAF (Chinon) made a body with shutter priority exposure like the ES, and Chinon also made a body with a motor winder (very slow 1.5 to 2 FPS) but sounds like a sewing machine. Cosinga (sp?) makes a current 42mm body. You can also get a 42mm to K mount adaptor and shoot with most K mount bodies with most lens in stop down metering. I have a ME with an adaptor, also a Nikon 42mm adaptor, but my 28 and 24 mm don't seem to meter with the ME and 300mm and longer cut off the corners on the Nikon. Most electronic bodies from the 70s (including the ES) are failing and unless you have a body to cannibalize will be difficult to repair.

All said I have gone though many Nikons, (F, F2, F3 FE and FG) but the Spotmatics keep on trucken along. Great basic body with excellent glass.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    That adapter is redundant on a Spottie, though. They have a bridge type meter -- that is, the meter needle is measuring the *difference* in current through the metering cells and the speed dial potentiometer; higher or lower supply voltage will result in more or less needle displacement with incorrect exposure, but the center null will be correct (at least if you don't have a completely dead battery or so much voltage you fry something from the excess current).

I've used my Spottie with silver oxide cells, with about 25% higher voltage than the original mercury cells, for a couple years at least, and the exposures are fine.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

cao
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Qualls
    That adapter is redundant on a Spottie, though.
    I'm not absolutely sure, but I think that may apply to only the Spot-F which uses a nulling bridge. The Spot II requires 3ua through the galvanometer to center it. I think the other non-F Spotties are the same. Won't the meter current for given potentiometer and photocell values increase with the battery voltage?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cao
    I'm not absolutely sure, but I think that may apply to only the Spot-F which uses a nulling bridge. The Spot II requires 3ua through the galvanometer to center it. I think the other non-F Spotties are the same. Won't the meter current for given potentiometer and photocell values increase with the battery voltage?
    You are correct that bridge circuites require a minimum current for operation. However at null that current flows equally through both legs of the bridge. So unless there is insufficient voltage to pass the minimum current most any power source, in keeping with the basic component, design can be used. That is, too much voltage will certainly burn out something and too little will cause drifting. But in the case of light meters, a couple of tenths of a volt shouldn't matter.

I've used several cells in my Spot and also a Vivitar strap-on (a very miniature meter indeed!), and checked the accuracy with my Minolta Spot meter. No problem.
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning. It smells like...creativity!
    Truly, dr bob.

cao
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by dr bob
    You are correct that bridge circuites require a minimum current for operation. However at null that current flows equally through both legs of the bridge.
    I am having trouble convincing myself. I think there will be 15% greater current through the meter with the Ag cells. So the meter should read slightly higher. Maybe setting the meter's hairspring tension to center at 3.4ua would work. In short, why is the meter current not linearly dependent on the supply voltage?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I started out in the SLR world with the camera that took the first pictures of me when I was born - My father's nice Spotmatic with 50 mm and 135 mm lenses.

GREAT CAMERA!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin