Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,220   Posts: 1,532,316   Online: 952

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nikon Questions

Images
    I always thought upgrade camera equipment meant going for a bigger negative. Was I wrong?

Go with the N90.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Images
    Bighead

I think you really need to think thru the issue of using the G lenses in the first place. I haven't followed the development of the Nikon G lenses but the ones I've seen seems to be consumer grade lenses. I you are doing weddings and other pro jobs, you need to look into pro F2.8 lenses. The F2.8 lenses will focus faster especially in dim light. I am a long time N90s user but if I am looking for an upgrade I'd look at the F100. Of course, I'm kinda surprised that you're not looking at digital for weddings. That seems to be the direction most wedding pros are going.

Brian

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Use a faster lens (as mentioned above)
    Is it not possible to disable the focusing light with one of the N80 custom settings?
    "The camera can be the most deadly weapon since the assassin's bullet. Or it can be the lotion of the heart - Norman Parkinson".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nikon is starting down the path of making pro level G lenses. I think that you would most likely want to look at the F5 or F100 in order to be able to take advantage of that trend. It's not a trend that I am happy with, but it is there so being able to use your current lenses and future pro offerings from Nikon to their fullest would seem like a good idea. BTW, KEH, an AUG sponsor, has F5 bodies starting at about $550 in bargain condition. Only about $100 more than an F100 in Bargain.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wouldn't suggest going for the F5. Too many incompatibilities with older lenses (the F4 offers 99% compatibility).

However as pointed out the AF, being first generation, is too slow by todays standards (that however never stopped me from doing some sports photography) and you need to get used to it. If you use manual focus then the focus confirmation light (green light in the viewfinder) is a good tool to help you when in doubt about proper focus.
    Too many Chiefs not enough Indians.....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by r-brian
    Bighead
    ones I've seen seems to be consumer grade lenses. Of course, I'm kinda surprised that you're not looking at digital for weddings. That seems to be the direction most wedding pros are going.
    Brian
    They are consumer grade. They are slower and are all plastic... They are still Nikon glass though and a lot lighter... And to answer the digital question, I have considered the possibility of digital while also shooting MF B&W... Kind of the best of both worlds.. But, I shoot with another photographer during weddings. She shoots all the color and I shoot B&W... So, until that partnership changes, I get to use my beloved film.. Also, I'm banking on picking up the niche market of people that still respect film and are interested in photographers and not "shooters".... Many people like the idea of a 11X14, fiber print, hand made and mounted by the photographer..

If I couldn't in the wedding market not using digital, I would probably just give up weddings in general... I like the extra cash but I am not trying to feed my family with it.......

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The upgrade path in Nikon's system from an N80 is an F100 or an F5 or an F6. Anything less is going to present compatibility issues with your G lenses. I have an F100, and it's very nice, AF is good even in low light.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you everyone.. I think the F100 is the logical leap.... I can grab a body only and use my existing lenses and save up for the one nice lens... Hopefully a VR 2.8 of some kind...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin