Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,837   Posts: 1,582,452   Online: 715

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nikon Questions

Shooter
    Medium Format

Nikon Questions

I need to upgrade from the N80, leaving it in the bag for a backup.... What upgrade to the N80, will accept my two G lenses? I know a N90 will not.. What about a used F100 or (god forbid) a F4 or F5???

Anyone have any recommendations.... I use this for weddings and portraits but I must say, I am really into MF now, so now it will probably be just for weddings...

I'd go with another N80 but I have not been happy with the AF system.... Maybe I need to go with an N90, with a portrait lens... I don't know.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider
    Thanks for this chart. Looking through it I just realized that I can use my G lenses with the F4 in the P ot S mode.

Have been using the M or A modes for so long that the option never crossed my mind.

Verry happy now. 2 extra lenses for the film camera. 2 less for the d... camera.
    Too many Chiefs not enough Indians.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why do you need to upgrade? Which features are you lacking in the N80?
    Based on those questions you could find yourself which camera will suit your photography best.
    Look at the BODY COMPARISON CHART for ideas.
    Also check the compatibility issues of your lenses.
    G lenses nee to be controlled from the camera body, so a F100 should be the next upgrade. But if you want a pro camera get an F5

PS. IIRC N90 predates N80

Quote Originally Posted by Bighead
    I need to upgrade from the N80, leaving it in the bag for a backup.... What upgrade to the N80, will accept my two G lenses? I know a N90 will not.. What about a used F100 or (god forbid) a F4 or F5???

Anyone have any recommendations.... I use this for weddings and portraits but I must say, I am really into MF now, so now it will probably be just for weddings...

I'd go with another N80 but I have not been happy with the AF system.... Maybe I need to go with an N90, with a portrait lens... I don't know.
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    35mm
    So get an F5.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I am certainly a novice when it comes to Nikon, but I did pick up an F4 on eBay. For $350 I couldn't pass it up. My Olympus lenses are suscumbing to sticky apertures, and I figured I should shift gears to a model where I can still buy new lenses. My jaw hit the table when I saw the going prices for an F4. HOWEVER, I will still keep my trusty Koni properly exercised. Hard to give up the film size. Discovering the range of lenses available for a Nikon is mind boggling, coming from a system that offers 4 lenses.
    Those who don't think Photographers have the skills of REAL artists such as painters obviously have not had to spot my prints.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try an F4. The AF isn't so brilliant, but then again you say you're going to use mainly MF. What I liked about my old F4 was the fact it could be used with an ordinary (and cheap) cable release. BLIGHTY
    Norman is an island.Time and tide wait for Norman.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I feel so unworthy....Still using my trusty old Nikkormat FTN and pre-AI lenses.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    35mm
    Is the AF system too slow? In that case, the F5 will be better and you will have excellent metering should you decide to point and shoot. Moving from an F4 to the N80 (back-up) in a hurry will not be as efficient as with an F5, especially if you have to switch from setting the aperture with the rear command-dial to setting it via shutter-priority (as G lenses don't work fully on the F4). The N80 will work as a lightweight F5 should you get any more of the G lenses in future, and it won't eat as many batteries. I would get the F4 only if you love manual focus lenses.
    Jonathan.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by titrisol
    Why do you need to upgrade? Which features are you lacking in the N80?
    The only thing I really feel it is lacking in, is in its AF system... It uses one of those stupid lights to help focus. One, its slow focusing and two, people see it coming and react to it... My friends N90S doesn't use a light and it is quick to focus... Lots of wedding receptions are dark. Even Manual focus is tough...

Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    So get an F5.
    Thats a lot of green...

Its a lot to weigh... I may go with an F4 or N90 and just not count on being able to use the G lenses on anything other than the N80.

I do want to shoot primarily MF, in the future... But for dinners, receptions and some of the cerimony I think 35mm is just to quick and easy. Since Most of these prints never make it bigger than 4x6, not really an issue...

Thanks everyone.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin