Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,873   Posts: 1,583,546   Online: 900

Page 5 of 56 FirstFirst 12345678910111555 ... LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebarger
    Although a hinged back might be nice.
    Yeah, that was a feature that really caught on, once it was introduced. It must have been a pretty good idea
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Praktica LTL3

Datchet, Berkshire UK- about 20 miles west of London
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Halina Paulette bought with incentive points in my first job after graduating. Then upgraded to a Praktica Super TL2.

I envy all you people who borrowed your father's camera. My dad used to borrow my Brownie, given to me by an aunt one Christmas, which he preferred to his 1925 Kodak folder.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My first 35mm was a Konica C35V, a compact, fixed lens, scale focus camera. It had a really good 38mm f2.8 lens. I used that as I took lessons from a tutor in London, Ontario (David Hallam, a wonderful photographer and person... does anyone know where he is now?) and then, due to David's experience and and influence, an OM-1 w/ 50mm f1.8 F.Zuiko, the first iteration of the Zuiko 50. David had an M3 and had had a Rolleiflex 35SL, which he found very unreliable. When he related that the Oly/Zuiko system was as satisfying for him as his M3 and Leica lenses, that's what I ordered.

Side story: One summer, I met, through the church I was attending, a young woman who was a missionary nurse in Central America who was on leave for the summer and staying with some of my friends in London. She wanted to buy a decent 35mm camera (this was the middle 70s,), so I took her to Linden Photo to survey what was available. I remember being so stricken with her in the shop, and FINALLY I took her hand as we discussed her options. We sorta fell in love (or at least infatuation!) and I remember later that summer talking with her and she told me that she had been wanting me to "make a move", so when I took her hand in Linden Photo, it was a special moment for her. And for me too!

I'm not sure what happened to that C35V, but a couple of years ago I bought a C35 (rangefinder version) on that awful auction place. It brings back a lot of memories (including Lillian,) produces great images (I love the colour rendition,) and is one of my two non-Oly rangefinders. The other is a Minolta 7s. I have lots of OMs and Zuikos now.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Earl
    Honey, I promise no more searching eBay for cameras.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Zenit was my first 35mm, shot quit happily for 4 years with that in combinaation with a variety of really cheap russian made lenses, made some great shots actually.... this was some 30- 35 years ago ...

I invested in a Nikkormat which I still use on a daily basis, it's tattered, it's worn, it has dents .. but it's like an extension of my body, I know how it functions ... It's had 2 cla's, one with shutter replacement after sticking my finger through it, It still makes marvellous pictures.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Mine was a Minolta XP I think, it wasn't all that long ago, maybe 13 years ago, but it set me on this path.
    Prints available in the APUG GAllery
    www.gaylarsonphotography.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Funny thing is I never really took photography seriously until 2002. I tried many times before, but though I was fascinated by photographs, particularly b&w ones, I never really got bitten that badly by the bug.
    Another thing was money. Boy were cameras, lenses, film and processing expensive when I was a boy. And in fact very much still were till the end of the 90's in the UK.
    I think also becoming politically motivated helped a great deal. I now knew what I wanted to take pictures of, and I enjoyed it. In turn what I have learned from that ongoing experience has helped me enjoy shooting scenery, town's, family occasions, whatever. Also dare I say it, d*****l has helped, I can get my pictures to others cheaply and fairly easily with the use of a flatbed or film scanner. I'm also realising that with limited time for taking and working on pictures, along with politically motivated work often requiring a fairly high volume, I'm going to have do d*****l capture. Hopefully though that will mean that instead of growling for hours in front of the film scanner working on pictures I need, but am not that excited about, I can find more time for working on the special stuff on b&w film.

What I have never forgotten though is the basics I learned shooting colour neg and slide film with the MTL aged about 12. I'm also looking forward to getting back to basics with my Dad's old Canonet that I got him to dig out the other week. I thought the MTL was so much better when I was a kid, what did I know.

So what's turned me from being an occasional snapper to an addicted enthusiast complete with dodgy press passes and business cards? Finding motivation, a reason if you like, plummeting exipment and consumable costs (not that it's exactly cheap, just I can do it now) and technology (I won't say that word again).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gnashings
    ... Lets see what all you folks cut your teeth on - what was your first 35mm camera! ...
    Not all of us "cut our teeth" with 35mm. I guess you could say I went through photography "adolescence" with that format.

It was a Zeiss Ikonette borrowed from my ex brother-in-law. Crude to operate, but a Zeiss lens! When I later bought a Sears (Ricoh) SLR, I thought I'd died and gone to camera heaven ...

That was a few SLR's ago :rolleyes:

Cheers y'all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My first camera used 127 - it was a Brownie, and it had a built in flashbulb holder. I got it for my 8th birthday. I then got an old 616 folder when I was about 11, when my Dad and I set up my first darkroom together - initially just doing contact prints. Later my Dad gave me my first 35mm camera - a Kodak 35 rangefinder that the technicians at my Dad's workplace (the Kodak processing laboratory in North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) had repaired. It eventually died.

I also used my dad's Bantam camera (828 is close, isn't it) and then the Canon Ftb he bought in the early to mid 70s (the first camera he ever owned that had not been manufactured by Kodak).

The first new 35mm camera I bought was a Kodak Retina S1 - what I now realize to be a sad reminder of a once great camera line, with a mediocre lens, but still functional.

Does anyone else here have memories of using a 35mm camera that took flashcubes? (thankfully, it also had a hotshoe for electronic flash).

Eventually I purchased an Olympus OM1 (not MD) in 1974. Several years later it was traded in on an OM2s which I still have, along with way too many other OM system bodies.

With respect to the OMs as starter cameras, I am partial to the OMG/OM20 - I have two such bodies - great as backups or to leave in the cars so as to make sure I am never far from a camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A Nikon FG.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin