Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,678   Posts: 1,669,306   Online: 895

Page 6 of 59 FirstFirst 1234567891011121656 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Yeah, that was a feature that really caught on, once it was introduced. It must have been a pretty good idea"

Funny story - I went into a pawn shop which I occasionally do the rounds of to see what might have slipped through the fingers of eBay... One such place had on old Praktica. The owner said: "Hmmm, old cameras? I have one, but its broken..." I asked to look at it. Of course, the film door fell off as I must admit I was not ready for it to not be hinged (just so accustomed to to the hinge, I guess) and the shop keeper comments: "See? It just falls off... broken." It took me a split second to realize what was at hand and I replied: "Yep... sure is broken... not much good to anyone now..."
    He agreed.
    Another liberated old camera through the ignorance of local pawn shop owners.

I am surprised to see the number of Zenits - I thought that experience would be limited to those of us from the other side of the "iron curtain". I for one love my zenit, and the fact that it is actually quite robust! I don't know if I just got lucky, but mine is still going strong except for the rewind knob and this little quirk where the image in the viewfinder is shifted slightly from what appears on film - really annoying until you learn to compensate for it. Oddly, that only started occuring a few years ago, it was perfectly in line for a long time!

And I just knew that there would be atleast one "special someone" story in there! That is a priceless camera-related memory indeed!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    An Olympus OM-2n that my parents got me for my high school graduation over 20 years ago. It's been all over the world with me and it's still my #1 camera today, when I'm shooting 35mm. Which is quite a bit.

Bruce

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gnashings
    "[I]I am surprised to see the number of Zenits - I thought that experience would be limited to those of us from the other side of the "iron curtain". I for one love my zenit, and the fact that it is actually quite robust! I don't know if I just got lucky, but mine is still going strong except for the rewind knob and this little quirk where the image in the viewfinder is shifted slightly from what appears on film - really annoying until you learn to compensate for it.
    Mine ran for years until stolen. Its only problem was that the viewfinder point of focus drifted very slightly away from the film focus so it couldn't be used reliably wider than f4, probably a mirror fault. The ones with the on board but non coupled non TTL meter were great for learners, though, as you got the whole possible range of possible shutter and f stop settings displayed and had to work out why you wanted a particular combination. Of course the other great feature was that you got the whole thing new with standard lens for 25 pounds.

David.

Shooter
    35mm
    My first 35mm SLR was a Praktica MTL3 fully manual M42 screw-mount camera. I still have it and it still works. I do use K-mount equipment today though.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    An Olympus Pen F purchased with cash graduation gifts in 1965, used primarily for slides and my only camera until 1971 when I was able to purchase a Nikon F2 and start building a kit (I was stationed in Okinawa at the time).

John
    John Harvey
    Colorado Springs, CO
    harveyje@usa.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A Pentax ME for my 12th birthday. Still have it, still works. My first camera that I bought on my own was a Pentax Super Program. I used all, and I mean ALL of my paper route money for that camera. And then in university, I used a good chunk of my student loan on a Nikon F4e.

Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    My first camera was a Miranda in 1973. A very compact SLR. From that to a Nikon F Photomic that I still own. While I don't shoot much 35mm anymore, the Nikon always is loaded with Tri-X. For color 35mm work I use an auto everything Pentax PZ-1.

Ron Mc
    Ron
    Memphis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I lost my photographic virginity to a Zenith B back in 1973.
    Norman is an island.Time and tide wait for Norman.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gnashings
    "Yeah, that was a feature that really caught on, once it was introduced. It must have been a pretty good idea"

Funny story - I went into a pawn shop which I occasionally do the rounds of to see what might have slipped through the fingers of eBay... One such place had on old Praktica. The owner said: "Hmmm, old cameras? I have one, but its broken..." I asked to look at it. Of course, the film door fell off as I must admit I was not ready for it to not be hinged (just so accustomed to to the hinge, I guess) and the shop keeper comments: "See? It just falls off... broken." It took me a split second to realize what was at hand and I replied: "Yep... sure is broken... not much good to anyone now..."
    He agreed.
    Another liberated old camera through the ignorance of local pawn shop owners.
    Good isn't it. I got a Leica IIIa for 15 pounds where the base comes off

David.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Leica IIIc w/ 50mm f/3.5 Elmar. Paid $50 bucks for it in 1968.
    Pain to load and the lens had goofy stops on it like 4.5, 6.3, 9, 12.5 & 18.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin