Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,476   Posts: 1,542,647   Online: 819

Page 8 of 54 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131418 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    Fuji something point and shoot. Worked well for about 8 years. Died the summer I met my now Wife.

You know, point and shoots have aremarkable effect on the number of photos you take, I find. If there is an upside to them, I think its that. You just click away, and sometimes, get a neat photo. Of course, it has been my experience that once you do get that good photo you always look at it thinking:"Well, it could have been so much better with a real lens, on a real camera..." Oh well, all in good fun.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    My first 35 mm was a Kodak Pony 135 Model C. Also my first adjustable camera of any kind, though it wasn't the first 35 mm I used -- that distinction belonged to a Yashica (unknown model) that belonged to the photography instructor at summer camp when I was 9 years old. My first experience with adjustments, exposure, metering, and rangefinder focusing, after learning to load 620 film at 7 and shooting an Instamatic 304 for a couple years -- loved that spring-driven auto wind!

The Pony 135 was and is a remarkable camera for what they cost then and now; I just finished cleaning up one I got for $10 on eBay -- the Anaston is a remarkably good lens for a triplet.

My first SLR came along after the Pony got dropped and the body chipped (after a few months of saving up): an Exa II, with 50 mm f/3.5 and 135 mm f/4; the latter a "preset" lens, but the 50 mm was an automatic with the Exakta "pass through" system -- the automatic operation was all in the lens, and the release pressure was passed through to the camera body's front mounted release.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Its so great to see some of the solutions that manufacturers were trying before everyone pretty much decided that there was one good way to do it. Its like antique cars - sure, the reason everything is done a certain way mainly because it works better (or more often, costs less...), but nothing has the personality anymore.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My very first camera was a Brownie Hawkeye 620 box camera. During summer vacations my father would borrow his company's Argus C3 and I would take color slides. When I went off to college my father gave me his camera, a Wirgin (don't know the particular model). This was a 35mm rangefinder made in post-war Germany. I later sold the Wirgin to a friend and bought my first good camera, a Mamiya/Sekor 1000 DTL.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just picked up two Brownies at a garage sale - they take 127 film... and I don't eventhink I can get it off the shelf anywhere locally. JandCphoto seems to be the only source... but the shipping is a bit staggering, at least according to their little calculator... Perhaps I shold ask in person... I want to try out the brownies, I think they will give some neat results under "sunny16" conditions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The way to beat shipping is to order as many rolls as you can before you break a weight barrier and the shipping jumps. To do that, you'll probably have to call; I don't recall their online system allowing you to calculate shipping until you're mostly checked out (you have to select the method, which is fairly far down the road). Of course, at $5/roll it's hard to order a lot of 127, too, but I don't recall the shipping being that much -- are you sure you've checked the various options? I usually have them ship USPS Parcel Post, it's cheap and still only takes a few days, most times of the year.

FWIW, I had a Brownie Holiday and a Baby Brownie when I was in high school, they made very nice pictures. I've even recently found two strips of Ektachrome I shot in one of those (they're 4x6.5, so unmounted) -- they still look great even after more than 30 years.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Images
    JandC's shipping calculator allows you to easily check shipping while adjusting your order. I always use it to make sure that ordering that one extra roll isn't going to bump me into the next shipping bracket.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe its because I live in Canada, but I believe the calculator gave me a $24 shipping quote on one roll of 127 (I was just checking, I wold order more if actually going through with it). Maybe I'll get some friends together and buy a bigger quantity of other films and get a couple rolls of 127. I don't think I'll be burning the stuff up, but I can't stand having a camera that has not given me at least one roll of film... just the way I am - keeps me up at night

I also picked up an instamatic - no particular reason, but it was mint and the guy wanted $2 for it. Gave him a buck and now I am wondering what to do with it, hehehehe... I am beyond help...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In Canada, you might try The Frugal Photographer -- I'm pretty sure they carry the same Efke and Maco 127 emulsions that J&C has, and the shipping would be domestic (and thus also avoid the variable delay with Canada Customs).

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Bolsey 220 half-frame.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin