Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,723   Online: 1045

Page 9 of 56 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141519 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Qualls
    In Canada, you might try The Frugal Photographer -- I'm pretty sure they carry the same Efke and Maco 127 emulsions that J&C has, and the shipping would be domestic (and thus also avoid the variable delay with Canada Customs).
    I saw the sight, I ssumed they were State-side - I should never assume

Thanks!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Exakta VX, Zeiss Tessar 50mm F2.8 lens.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gnashings
    Maybe its because I live in Canada, but I believe the calculator gave me a $24 shipping quote on one roll of 127 (I was just checking, I wold order more if actually going through with it). Maybe I'll get some friends together and buy a bigger quantity of other films and get a couple rolls of 127. I don't think I'll be burning the stuff up, but I can't stand having a camera that has not given me at least one roll of film... just the way I am - keeps me up at night

I asked JandC about that and they said that the software that does the shipping rate calculation is retarted; they ship stuff for 5$+ to Canada, and they will reimburse you the extra shipping before sending stuff.

I'm rather disappointed at the "frugal" aspect of the FF: he doesn't carry efke, and his films are at least 5 USD a piece: I get all the big brands for the same amount in CAND here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Only partly in Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Qualls
    In Canada, you might try The Frugal Photographer -- I'm pretty sure they carry the same Efke and Maco 127 emulsions that J&C has, and the shipping would be domestic (and thus also avoid the variable delay with Canada Customs).
    If you go into the FAQ section on the Frugal Photographer's site you will see the following:
    [COLOR=Red]
    Where are you located?

Our office and showroom is in Calgary, Canada. Our merchandise is stored in a warehouse in Maumee, Ohio, and all orders are shipped from Ohio.

Unfortunately, the volume of business originating in Canada is much too small to allow us to have a shipping facility in Canada.
    [/COLOR]

And all prices are in US Dollars

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I kind of like the image J and C projects - one of the fewer and fewer places that does not look at film guys as a pesky annoyance. That's why I was dissappointed with their shipping.. I am glad it was an oversight. One they should fix sooner than later!!! How many people look at that, form an opinion and never go back? Anyone not having the support of a group like APUG. If it wasn't for this great forum and the folks here, I would be one of them!

Since I am in Toronto, I don't think FF has any adventages for me over J&C - I will just have to get on the phone and order the old fashioned way!

Thanks for the input guys,

Peter.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    When I was 7, I remember seeing a cool looking toyish camera at the local toy store, and saying "I'd like that for Christmas!". I got it, and although it didn't last for terribly long, I had fun using it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC
    When I was 7, I remember seeing a cool looking toyish camera at the local toy store, and saying "I'd like that for Christmas!". I got it, and although it didn't last for terribly long, I had fun using it.
    And here you are, all these years later - I think that camera was pretty priceless in retrospective!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    And here you are, all these years later - I think that camera was pretty priceless in retrospective!
    It did start me pretty early. My second camera came at the age of 12, 2 and a half years worth of setting the table and doing the dishes every night. 9 years later I'm working harder and still spending too much of what I earn on camera gear

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This place was looking a bit dead...not much doing, so i thought this might be fun. Lets see what all you folks cut your teeth on - what was your first 35mm camera!

Here is me: this little East German thing that you had to walk ten steps away from your subject to be more less in focus! Then you wound the little wheel until it stopped. As far as I recall, your legs were the only adjustment.

But the first real 35mm (I had a Lubitel after that) camera was a Zenit ( I forget which letters - I think MF - it had a photo-cell light meter over the lens). It still works although the rewind knob broke and I cant locate the pieces to fix it (and I just realized that I can't locate the camera... wife cleaned the place...it can be anywhere... it may be in YOUR house!). Pretty good for over 20 years of use!

Hope everyone has fun recollecting!

Peter.
    Why just 35MM? I see that alot of people started out with other formats, as I did. BUT, my first 35MM was a Nikonos II with bulb flash.
    I started with a kodak instamatic, took (I think) 126. Various other 126 format kodaks then I moved on to a disc camera after they came into vogue. After that, I started to actually learn photography on my dad's Mini Speed which he gave to me about 20 years ago. Today, I use 35mm, 2x3 and 4x5 Graflex.

I still use the Nikonos II but not too deep as the o-rings haven't been serviced in awhile. I submerge the camera before I load film to see if it works beyond say, ten feet. So far, it hasn't flooded yet. Bulb flash worked well but too much task loading at depth inserting bulbs, shooting, then collecting spent bulbs in a ditty bag. Other divers thought I was crazy but they always loved watching me and wanting to dive with me. I also have used it doing some white water rafting while on vacations and that was perfect for that environment.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PCGraflex
    Why just 35MM? I see that alot of people started out with other formats, as I did. BUT, my first 35MM was a Nikonos II with bulb flash.
    I started with a kodak instamatic, took (I think) 126. Various other 126 format kodaks then I moved on to a disc camera after they came into vogue. After that, I started to actually learn photography on my dad's Mini Speed which he gave to me about 20 years ago. Today, I use 35mm, 2x3 and 4x5 Graflex.

I still use the Nikonos II but not too deep as the o-rings haven't been serviced in awhile. I submerge the camera before I load film to see if it works beyond say, ten feet. So far, it hasn't flooded yet. Bulb flash worked well but too much task loading at depth inserting bulbs, shooting, then collecting spent bulbs in a ditty bag. Other divers thought I was crazy but they always loved watching me and wanting to dive with me. I also have used it doing some white water rafting while on vacations and that was perfect for that environment.
    Well, that is certainly one of the more exotic firsts here!

And just as a side note, I just bought an instamatic - $1 at a garage sale, along with the Brownies. I might run a roll of film through it just to see what gives.

Oh, the reason why I said "35mm" is simply this: this is the 35mm forum, and it waslooking a bit dead at the time - I enjoy the stories and the inevitable tidbits of knowledge that I pick up with them, so I thought I'd give some folks an excuse to relax and stroll down memory lane while more pressing 35mm related issues came up for discussion. By no means anything against the other formats, just a time and place coincidence, that's all. I really, really enjoyed having a peek into all your recollections! Thanks,

Peter.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin