Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,523   Posts: 1,543,813   Online: 752

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I've got an 80-200mm f4.5 zoom in Canon FD mount. A bit heavy, plus it's soft wide open but stop it down just one stop and it's really good. I bought it years ago from new when I had little money and it's still serving me well. Haven't seen the flaring that some have with their other lenses. Obviously Kiron are one of those hidden gems.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmmm, I do shoot a lot wide open - I wonder how the wide open perforamnce is on a wide angle prime vs the zooms. I assume it would be a bit better,no?

Shooter
    Pinhole
    I signed up on the Yahoogroups Kiron group to get some info on a very obscure custom one, but that was probably a dumb assumption they would be familiar.

If you didn't get the lens, I'd sign up on that user group if you have piqued a particular interest in finding a Kiron lens, because they can tell you and endorse for you specific lenses, as well as tell you which Vivitar ones were made by Kino and which by others. There's a pretty strong knowledge base in that group.

The guy who did the advertising campaign for the Kiron line is (has been in the past, anyway) even in the mix on occasion.

Murray
    Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks again! One day left, and still not decided... but if the price stays and I don't hear any horror stories... I think I'll be happy. Its really only the wide open performance that raised a bit of concern - I do shoot a lot wide open (I know, I know, I should know better )

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gnashings
    Its really only the wide open performance that raised a bit of concern - I do shoot a lot wide open (I know, I know, I should know better )
    Unfortunately, many consumer lenses are soft wide open. It's one of the things you pay lots of money for when you buy a "pro" lens. You'll just have to start using a tripod more

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are a good many lenses that seem to have bit of a problem when shot wide open, even many of the brand name lenses could exhibit a bit of softness at the edges, most lenses do have a sweet spot for optimum sharpness and I have even seen this in the high dollar Leica and Canon lenses, so it would be something you would have to test to make sure what the sweet spot of this lens would be, and that being said, if the price is low enough, I would go for it and have fun playing with it...

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow
    ... if the price is low enough, I would go for it and have fun playing with it...

Dave
    Exactly my thoughts at this point - if I buy it for $10, Henrys, the local rip off artists, will buy it for $20 and sell it for $60...

Jokes aside, for less than the price of a battery for my AE-1, its worth a shot... or many shots, whatever the case may be! I'll be sure to post any impressions just incase anyone else finds themselves in my shoes.

Thanks agian,

Peter.

Shooter
    35mm
    Gnashings

Which Kiron lens in particular are you looking at? Kiron was indeed, founded by sone top Nikon lens designers. They are very good, and built as well or better than the Nikon's. As other's have stated, Kiron (Kino Precision Industries) did make many of the older and superb Vivitar Series 1 lenses. Kiron made an excellent 24mm f/2 and a 28mm f/2. The Kiron 105mm f/2.8 macro, is phenomenal, and goes 1:1 life size without any adapters. I also use the excellent Kiron 28-105 and the Kiron 70-210. Join the Kiron Klub ( http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Kiron-Klub/ ) and you'll have access to loads of info on any Kirons or Vivitars.

Kiron Kid

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am so upset right now - after picking your collective brains, and testing the patience of the seller with many questions (I might add he was very accomodating) - my ISP took a dump on me for the third time this month, leaving me without web access for the duration of the evening... I usually bid before the auction closes, so I didn't even have enough time to get to another computer. Lesson learned, I guess. Well, at least I know to keep my eyes open to the Kiron's as they seem to be somewhat of a hidden gem.
    Thanks for all your help, guys,

Peter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Darn, wished I had of known, I would have bid on your behalf....One thing good in the camera business, there will be another...

Dave

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin